• This topic has 29 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by tang.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Castelli waterproof jacket: Gabba vs Pave vs Tempesta
  • SamB
    Free Member

Given that the weather’s turned to shit, I need to get a decent waterproof jacket if I have any hope of getting out on the roadie this winter. So I’m trying to decide between these three.

The Gabba has a great reputation, so that’s a safe bet. Just wondering if anyone has any real world experience of the Pave or Tempesta? As far as I can see they’re both slightly lighter-weight versions of the Gabba, with extra features (and a higher price!) on the Tempesta. Any informed (or not!) opinions out there?

jamiep
    Free Member

Gabba isn’t waterproof or a jacket. But it is excellent at what it does.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Consider also the Alpha jacket/jersey.

tonyg2003

Yes Gabba’s aren’t waterproof but they are very good for most conditions

theflatboy
    Free Member

Gabba = quite fantastic. Might I also point sir towards here? 🙂

mauja
    Free Member

As good as the Gabba is if you want a waterproof jacket then that’s not what it is and I wouldn’t have one in place of a proper waterproof shell jacket especially for cold wet winter rides.

The seams on the Gabba aren’t taped and water will get in if it’s anything more than a light shower. It’s great for mild wet conditions where you’d get wet in a shell from sweat anyway but in cold wet winter rides I wear mine as an intermediate layer under a shell.

gren
    Free Member

As above…. Great Jersey but not waterproof and not that warm. Good for road spray and drizzle or if you get caught out in a shower. Works best if you’re motoring along.

Alpha jacket is a whole lot warmer, will take you to zero easily but no more waterproof. Probably less.

Best option would be a shell and layers underneath.

Sandwich

Sir might also like to try The Climb and Conquer from Stolen Goat.

boblo
    Free Member

Well that Stolen Goat jacket isn’t waterproof either according to the blurb. I went through this process a couple of weeks ago, same question. I have a couple of GoreTex hardshells that I get wet in due to sweat when doing almost anything other than sitting around (true of my hill jackets too).

I bought a Gabba l/s for intermediate days and a Sportful Fiandre Extreme for wet days. I’ve used soft shell for years but not the newish waterproof Neoshell stuff so it’ll be interesting to see how it goes.

Haven’t worn either yet, can’t bring myself to abandon my 10 year old Gore Contest and Phantom :-/

If you go this route, have a look at Bike Inn for mail order and there’s a code knocking around for another 10% off.

mudshark
    Free Member

I use a Castelli Confronto jacket for really cold/wet rides as completely water proof and has a roadie cut with a slightly stretchy material to fit nicely. Not that breathable I think think but I have a jacket for that on milder days and a Gabba too. The Confronto is a good price for Castelli gear too.

bluebird
    Free Member

I kept looking at the Castellli pocket liner jacket last year but couldn’t bring myself to spend £290 on a roadie jacket. It’s pretty much the same as the Tempesta but goretex, you can still find them if the sales.

Also have a look at the Sportful Survival Jacket if you can find your size in a sale – bikeinn.com have them for a good price.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Another proper weaterproof jakcet to look at is the Rapha hardshell. Its expensive, although I got it in the sale, and really is fantastic. Very waterproof and very breathable. Quite warm though.

iainc

Sportful Fiandre NoRain is along same lines as Gabba, but a bit warmer for UK winters.

Mine is good in wet conditions, but as noted above, not properly waterproof and will get wetted through in prolonged rain. Says warm when wet though

dragon
    Free Member

For winter the amount of days you ‘need’ a waterproof jacket are very low. Just get a thick winter windproof jacket instead. If the weather is horrific just stay indoors.

Gary_M
    Free Member

For winter the amount of days you ‘need’ a waterproof jacket are very low. Just get a thick winter windproof jacket instead. If the weather is horrific just stay indoors.

I commute 20 miles each way on the bike, I live in the west of scotland. Believe me in winter my need for a waterproof jackets amounts to quite a high number of days.

boblo
    Free Member

Righty ho… Update from the front… I’ve just been out for a quick 40 with the Gabba on. Temp 13°C, rained all the time and 17mph winds according to Windfinder. I wore a s/s dry flo tee shirt underneath.

The top beaded for the first 30 mins then sort of settled down to looking damp. I was warm enough though didn’t stop and my tee shirt and the inside of the Gabba were damp when I got back. Mine’s a nice snug roadie fit and didn’t flap in the wind.

Not sure what the conclusion is other than don’t get caught out with just a Gabba if you’re likely to need pit stops and it’s a bit chilly. I usually carry a Pertex top as a showerproof/windproof so that would help for the initial 10 mins after a café stop.

BTW. I’m pretty sure Neoshell is considered waterproof. The fabric achieves the hydrostatic head required to be called ‘waterproof’ and in the Sportful Fiandre Extreme (iainc comments on the Fiandre No Rain above which is a different kettle of fish to the Extreme), all seams are taped so it should keep the clag out. I haven’t used mine yet so can’t confirm how it performs in the real world.

SamB
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies all! It sounds like I’m looking at a hard shell then, rather than a Gabba. I’ve already got an Alpha jersey, plus Mortirolo 3 and Espresso jackets so well covered (!) on the “warm” front. I’ll have a look shells mentioned, Rapha is a decent option as well as the other Castelli stuff. Any other full-on waterproof recommendations?

hilldodger
    Free Member
    stolengoat
    Free Member

Well that Stolen Goat jacket isn’t waterproof either according to the blurb.

Hi folks, sorry to butt in (excuse the pun) – but just to clarify about our Climb & Conquer Jackets…

These use a triple layer fabric system to keep the elements off you whilst remaining breathable.

The fabric is waterproof… but we don’t call the jacket waterproof as the seams and zips aren’t sealed. But I’ve done century rides in the rain in mine and never once gotten damp or wet underneath.

Hope that helps. We also have the Orkaan range – which is similar to the Gabba range I guess. The waterproofing in the fabric is manufactured in – rather than being a treatment so it won’t wash out. Hope that helps.

Here is more about climb and conquer:
    http://stolengoat.com/about-climb-conquer-jacket/

Here is more about Orkaan Jerseys:
    http://stolengoat.com/about-orkaan-weatherproof-jerseys/

Have a great weekend 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

Sam, seeing as you aren’t going to buy my Gabba linked above, though I still think you should, I will point out that there are some very decent Mavic waterproof jackets reduced to a very good price on Sport Pursuit at the moment. Worth a look.

boblo
    Free Member

I like the look of the Stolen Goat kit and in this company, it’s good value.

OK, the claim is it’s waterproof despite not being seam sealed. Send me one on approval. I’ll back to back test it in the rain against the Sportful Fiandre Extreme. If I get wet in it, I’ll keep it FOC. If I stay dry, I’ll pay for it. Either way I’ll report on it here.

I have no affiliation with either company and appreciate SG’s contribution. However, let’s see something a bit more tangible than just a forum claim eh?

dragon
    Free Member

I commute 20 miles each way on the bike,

Commuting is a slightly different kettle of fish though, but even then I prefer not to bother with a hardshell anymore and just get a warm windproof and accept getting wet.

I use a a merino baselayer, with a Sportful Flandre No Rain jacket on top, and yes you get wet in the worst of the rain, but even in single figure temps I’ve not got cold.

stolengoat
    Free Member

However, let’s see something a bit more tangible than just a forum claim eh?

Hey boblo, appreciate your comments. If you report your findings on here… would that be more tangible than a forum claim?

Feel free to peruse the online reviews from road.cc and rcuk etc…

Press & Customer Reviews

Many thanks folks

nickc

Another proper waterproof jacket to look at is the Rapha hardshell.

Yep, this. it is pricey, but if you absolutely must get out and it’s shit, you’ll be thankful for it.

Kryton57

Save your cash and get an Altura Peleton – Night vision version if you want the reflective – and a pocket sized waterproof jacket to carry.

Sandwich

I wouldn’t want fully waterproof as I sweat like Gary Glitters paperboy when road cycling. My preferred outerwear is Paramo at a weight to suit the outdoor temperature.

TiRed

Ordered a pair of Mavic H2O jackets. I normally ride in a convertible she’ll, or a windproof club jersey, but neither are truly waterproof. I did have an endura Race shell that was very good but fell apart. So we’ll see how they stack up.

therevokid
    Free Member

prolonged rain and my stolen goat let some water in through the zip
    and down the collar … so exactly as described and a bloody good
    jacket to boot 🙂

tang
    Free Member

Mavic h20 are ace, great venting and really water proof. The pave jacket is event and very very light and comes with a warning to not wear a pack. I love the Gabba as it does cover a lot (not all though) of UK non summer rides.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Castelli waterproof jacket: Gabba vs Pave vs Tempesta’ is closed to new replies.