Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Castelli Gabba, short or long sleeved?
  • matthewmountain
    Free Member

Needing a new jersey and the Gabba seem to get great reviews. Yes it is expensive and not available in Aldi. I was all set to get the long sleeved one (living in Scotland) but having been online a lot of people seem to prefer the flexibility of a short sleeved one with arm warmers.

But I find myself querying the need of a windproof short sleeved jersey!

Does any one have the Gabba? If so which one and would you recommend it?

Thanks

djflexure

I have short and would get a second. Through winter/ spring/ autumn can wear with either long sleeve base, short sleeve base and arm warmers or no arm warmers. Pack a pertex jacket for extra cold or after dark. Its really versatile and every ride becomes a Gabba ride.
    I also think managing Italian fit might be a bit easier with ss. I have a large at 6ft and 14st.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Have the long sleeve.. if i had the money at the minute id buy the short sleeve too. Its probably the best piece of road kit ive bought

Spud

I’ve the short sleeved version and it’s been great. Allows almost 3 season use with a variety of items under it. Use on LEJOG in July when warmish and wet, with mesh base, no need for warmers. Add warmers for spring (was great riding Flanders sportive last year in the very damp weather). You will get hot and with long sleeves you will lose the versatility of the jacket and a good pair of warmers, whether they’re the posh Nanoflex or normal Roubaix.

mooman
    Free Member

Long sleeve is def better for colder days.
    I have both – and wear the long sleeve much more often.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

basically what they said – short sleeve gives more flexibility with long or short sleeve base layers and arm warmers.

I have a long sleeve (which has been my go-to top this winter) and a short-sleeve which will start to supersede it as it warms up through the ‘spring’, but I still want a wind/waterproof.

There is a convertible version with removable sleeves, but in a recent Gabba thread many people with it seemed to end up just leaving the sleeves on.

They have such a good reputation there’s a danger they could fail to live up to people’s expectations but I was impressed enough to buy a second (I had the SS one first). There’s lots of competition out there now eg. Stolen Goat Orkaan, Parentini Mossa, plus most of the big players have their equivalent, but I saw no reason to risk trying anything else.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Yeah short here too, I find if I need long sleeves usually means a heavier/warmer top.

Oblongbob

Get the convertible one – simples! That’s what I’ve got and it’s great. More often than not ride long sleeved in minging weather, but have whipped the arms off many times.

PS for sizing I’m 6’3” 15st 3ish and have the XXL and fits well.

PPS I’m in Scotland too

jamiep
    Free Member

I have both (and the nanoflex armwarmers too). If I was only allowed to buy one, I’d get the SS and armwarmers (or similar Sportful armwarmers – I have those as well, slightly thicker than the Castelli version)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Castelli Gabba, short or long sleeved?’ is closed to new replies.