• This topic has 27 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Castelli Gabba 2 – worth a punt ?
  • iainc

For winter road stuff ? I already have a Sportful Fiandre NoRain which I’ve only used a few times but is verging on a touch large. Very impressed with it although was a toss up between that and the Gabba at the time…

Is the Gabba really as good as the reviews say ? Would be going LS and they are 30% off !

It appears that the Gabba is a bit lighter than the Sportful but pretty similar…

iainc

Oh well, I ordered one anyway 😀

It can always go back to Wiggle if too much overlap with the Sportful !

Vortexracing

if it was me, I would send it back and get the convertible one for an extra £20

and yes, they are worth it

andyfla
    Free Member

Love mine – the waterproof rarely comes out in the winter now

iainc

Thanks, how do they size up ? Size chart suggests I am XL, so sounds Italian 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

Castelli sizing is skimpy. I’m a small in most cycling kit but a medium in castelli, tried the gabba on in dales and the small was skin tight.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

I’ve got a red medium and a blue large for sale if anybody wants one. Long sleeves, and yes they’re great I’ve just got 4!

varty.josh@hotmail.co.uk

Both mint. £100 posted (each)

Gary_M
    Free Member

£100 2nd hand? They’re only £115 new.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’m a small in most cycling tops and am a small in a Gabba- it’s made to be able to go over a base layer and racefit jersey so it slightly bigger than a small regular castelli jersey.

Got one for chrimbo in short sleeve on the grounds it’s more flexible than the long sleeve (already got NoRain arm warmers). So far pleased and impressed with it, will be my go-to top for the winter.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Buy a new one then Gaz!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Don’t buy it then Gary. Nothing on TV today?

What your smelly used one at £100 or a new one at £115.99, or £104.39 with British cycling discount and that’s posted. For £4.39 I’ll take the new one rather than the used one no matter how ‘mint’.

There must be something on TV, what with all those channels.

Nice edit btw

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Cheers mate thought it was funnier, and na you’re alright just buy a new one they’re only £104.39.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh I think that would be the sensible thing for anyone to do.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The lusso version is supposed to be better

iainc

No XL left on CRC and got one of the last Wiggle ones, so no BC discount, but still a great deal at £115…..if it fits 😀

boblo
    Free Member

Late to this party but….

I was recently in the market for reverse of this quandary; Sportful Fiandre extreme neoshell vs Gabba. Ferck it, I bought both. I found the Sportful was a size smaller than the Castelli so I had to go up another size for it (or down for the Gabba) and I’m not telling you to what tho as it makes me sound like an American couch surfing, pizza eating, coke slurping fatso…which I’m really, really not 🙂

The Gabba is ace and slightly better fitting (on me) than the Sportful. I’ve used mine down to about 5°c with just a baselayer. Did I mention it’s ace?

iainc

First outing with the Gabba 2 yesterday – very impressed. XL fits perfectly, and extremely comfy and totally windproof. Was a 40 mile windy road loop, dry and temp around 6 degrees. Just the Gabba and a Craft LS base layer and perfect temperature. I reckon it will do me down to maybe 5 deg like that, and then the Sportful for colder stuff, as the Castelli is definitely a bit lighter weight.

sefton
    Free Member

race fit – and imo is spot on – wait…the arms are a tad long

iainc

^^^ the size chart put me on XL (41 chest, 34 waist) and it is bang on fit wise with a base layer. I would agree that the arms are on the longish side, perhaps about 2cm more than needed, but the are designed that way according to the blurb, so they can go over or under gloves.

boblo
    Free Member

I first used my Gabba for a 4hr wet road ride and git just a bit damp. As damp as working up a sweat on a hotter ride. The DWR wetted out after a couple of hours but didn’t seem to stop working. My Gabba is an XL as well and it’s perfect.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Best bit of kit I have. Have LS and SS. LS gets a bit more use as you can wear a sleeved base layer and venting options better but both are great.

gren
    Free Member

Got both as well – the LS gets more use and agree it’s comfortable down to 5 degrees with a thin Craft LS base.

Picked it up for £95 from Wiggle just before Xmas. £110 then used their £15 off over a ton offer.

Have some nanoflex arm warmers to use with the SS but it never seems as good and there aren’t that many warmer soggy days. Very few times have I worn them and taken off the arm warmers during the ride.

iainc

aye, they’ve knocked another £6 off it since last week too, now £109.99 – bargain !

iainc

Tested to slightly beyond it’s limit today ! 20 hilly road miles, persistent light to medium rain, 3.5 degrees, no wind. I was just about warm enough with Gabba, a Craft base layer and tenn winter bib longs, ( wool socks and defrosters too 🙂 ). It did wet through but not completely.

Next time I’ll wear my Sportful Fiandre….as for me the Gabba limit looks like about 5 degrees, as it says on the packet !

shermer75
    Free Member

Gabba you say?

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aPZ9NGrYqlU[/video]

Hey softies, you soooooft

iainc

Aye, whatever….

boblo
    Free Member

Tsskkkk, schoolboy error… I wore my Sportful Fiandre extreme neoshell in driving rain at 2°C for a 60 miler and was as dry as a bone and toasty warm with just a base layer and long bibs. Fingers were cold in neoprene gloves but everything else; A OK. 😀

iainc

Yeah, I kind of expected it to be a bit cold for today but was curious to find out !! Sportful Fiandre NoRain with same other kit is good to subzero for me, albeit if its below 2 degrees I’ll not be on a road bike..?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Castelli Gabba 2 – worth a punt ?’ is closed to new replies.