• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Rio.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cassettes…tightwad content.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

It isn’t possible to get replacement cogs is it?
    It’s just that as usual only one is worn.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think Madison do Shimano ones, try Mercian for Campag?

ton

you would have to grind them to split them down……worth the hassle?

joolsburger
    Free Member

You can get Sram 970’s for under 20 quid hardly seems worth the effort of trying to bodge.

julianwilson
    Free Member

find someone else who wears the ‘opposite’ sprockets down, and swap the good ones?

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ll enquire further. Ton its one of the individual cogs that always goes. I know you can buy those niminaiya? ones if you have a spare million.

wwaswas

Oldgit – problem with splitting cassette’s will be where ont he freehub body due to narrow rings digging in – might end up beign a false economy.

If it’s always the same cog (and only that one) then maybe you should be running a singlespeed 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

I think ten years of singlespeeding is wot did it, like a lot of singlespeeders I lost my index finger through lack of use.
    The first five cogs on XTs are all separate, so one off and one on?

wwaswas

I gues sif it’s one of the ‘loose’ ones and you replace like for like (assumign you can get hold of one) then you’ll be ok.

Maybe worth lookign at a bigger chainring up front so you use a bigger cog at the back and spread the wear over more teeth?

Doug
    Free Member

What size are you after. Got a 14 lying around after turning an Ultegra 12-27 into an 11-27.

TheBrick
    Free Member

rose in Germany do lots of individual shimano cog as do highpath engineering. If you have an xt cassette or a SRAM 9something or other with the built in aluminium carrier this will not be possible obviously.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I was going to point out that Shimano do spare a 17/20T pair of sprockets for the XTR M970 cassette from their Yumeya (XTR pimping) range for only £119, but it’s been discontinued.
    I wonder why?

I’d go back to singlespeeding if you’re still only using one cog or convert to 8 speed for cheaper chains and cassettes.

wwaswas

is the chain worn at all – might be an issue with a new cog?

poppa
    Free Member

Try posting a wanted ad? Someone chucking out a worn casette might have the sprocket you want in reasonably good nick.

takisawa2

Buy & split a Deore one ?
    Presumably the lockring will hold it all in place with the pins ground off.

oldgit
    Free Member

Ah Ill just get a new one. Its only £55 and it might last a year, just seems a waste and not very green.

Rio

Lots of cogs here – http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cassettes-spares-dept368_pg1/ but if it’s more than 1 a new cassette may be better value.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cassettes…tightwad content.’ is closed to new replies.