Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cassettes:- Sram PG980 or SLX
  • tinsy
    Free Member

I cant decide, same price same wieght, but I have not used Sram cassettes before.
    Would have preffered XT but cost is prohibitive, so whats the opinions on these two?

ps only looking at 11-34.

poppa
    Free Member

Toss a coin? Seriously.

mtbrDot
    Free Member

steel in sram cassettes is carp. shimano cassettes always last longer and shift better.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Correct Dot – I’ve had a few die on me – teeth ripped off or bent. Never happened with Shimano of any sort.

tinsy
    Free Member

I think I will stick with what I know, been happy with the Shimano XT’s the SLX should shift pretty similar.

Thank you.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I reckon there is nothing in it. Trying to tell how well one shifts against the other is very hard and also how much each one wears against each other. I just go for the cheapest chain anmd cassette I can get my hands on now as I dont see it as a performance thing.

tinsy
    Free Member

I got a £45 chain going on it, bought when I was flush (must have been before I got married) so am a bit put off by the 2 post’s that cast doubt on the durability on the Sram, whatever goes on the bike will stay on it until it all disintegrates. Much like what’s just happened, annoyingly on both my bikes simultaneously…

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I have a Sram 980 cassette that has done about 50 mile only of riding. Its a 11-34 but I wanted a 11-32 ideally. £30 posted for it. I mwas going to stick it on the classifieds later this week. I dont know if its of any interest to you tins

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

looking at the prices on Merlin I may as well just keep it. There only £34 and I paid more than that.

Also these look a good cassette for the money on CRC-

link[/url

tinsy
    Free Member

Seth I think I might just bite the bullet and get an XT… Thanks though.

I did see those on CRC, that will be fine on my fulls sus as it happens, and spend the extra for the XT on my hardtail, when I was looking at those I couldnt find any info on them on the Shimano website, not sure its got a plated finish and wondered if they would rust?

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

someone on the reviews says they are satin finish. I have never had any problems with the Deore cassette in regards to rust.%0 gram lighter than the HG50 cassette acording to CRC. I will be getting one.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

50 grams lighter!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cassettes:- Sram PG980 or SLX’ is closed to new replies.