Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cassette/inset wood burners
  • wolly
    Free Member

Has anyone got any experience with them look at replacing an open fire with one any issues etc?

trail_rat
    Free Member

parents have a big un.

they bought 2 (as they had 2 open fires)

the second was sold on, they would not stick the first on in if time came around again.

alot of heat lost into the wall – continually cracks the plaster and mirrors etc above and around it due to the temps the wall reaches , not enough airflow round the stove to draw the heat into the room – just the thin channel round the cassette – they now have a silent fan blowing at the stove/wall to help draw the heat out – it helps

looks cool though.

mogrim

My house came with one, and it’s great in winter – the fan blows hot air out and it does a great job of heating my (fairly open-plan) house. Nice and clean, and completely smoke-free.

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Westfire-32-inset.html

thats what my parents have

dont get me wrong – it can heat the house to warm.com and burns everything- it would be better if they had a fan to blow air round the vent chanel – i believe some of the new cassette stoves have this – mogrims sounds like it does.

mogrim

it would be better if they had a fan to blow air round the vent chanel – i believe some of the new cassette stoves have this – mogrims sounds like it does.

Don’t know how new mine is – I’ve been in the house for about 5 years, and it was there when we bought it. But I certainly recommend getting one with a fan, it makes a huge difference. Mine’s temperature activated, so doesn’t switch on until the stove is hot. It does make a bit of noise, but it’s a constant whirring that you soon stop noticing. Quieter models are probably available!

madjak
    Free Member

I have a little Stovax 4.9kw and its brilliant. No fan but works well enough for me. Does crack the plaster above but you are supposed to use heat resistant plaster.

Nice clean burn, loads of heat and easy to empty out and light. I really enjoy winter evening now…. (Sad)

sharkbait
    Free Member

We have a Clearview Inset that was installed last November into a standard existing 16″ fireplace (‘just’ knock the rear fire back out).
    It’s in a 6m x 9m room and we’re very happy with it – no fan but it does have convection channels built in. Yes it does put an amount of heat into the surrounding fireplace but this works for us as the brickwork acts as a giant storage heater so it still radiates heat when the stove is not lit.
    Can be bought quite cheaply on ebay. I might build a peltier fan to sit on top but realistically it’s not required.

wolly
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crew

bedmaker

I’ve replaced about a dozen or so open fires with this stove over the last couple of years, Aarrow Eco5+ inset

best put in with a liner then (importantly!) insulated around the back with vermiculite. Customers have all been delighted with them.
    It almost always works out a lot cheaper than a freestanding stove.

I’ve also got three, possibly four of these to fit in the next few weeks. It’s quite a recent addition to their range. The one in the back of my van looks nicely made. Two of them are for friends so I’ll be able to keep tabs on how they perform.

I’d agree the fan ones are a good idea, they seem to be popular in Germany/Denmark but you don’t often see them here. Retro fitting them to a house would cost a fortune though as they tend to be fairly huge and then all the ducting needs to be plumbed in.
    They also cost a lot to buy. I’d have one if I was doing a new build today though.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Can’t get enough of mine. It’s a Riva 55 cassette. Punches out plenty of heat for my 16m2 lounge. My advice would be not to go too small as you can always put less fuel in a bigger stove, not the other way round!

wolly
    Free Member

Really like the simple look of them, got a chap coming for a measure and price up on Wednesday, anything I should know/ask?

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Out of interest, what’s wrong with the open fire you’ve got?
    Is it the inefficiency of it?

Only asking because we considered going down this route but prefer the look of an open fire.

wolly
    Free Member

The open fire looks great, it’s just ineffeciant we can use a sack of logs a day easily and not as easy to control

bedmaker

Since you asked FeeFoo 😉

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Cheers bedmaker, that was an interesting read.

Anecdotally, our living room gets warmer when we light the fire. And it has reduced our overall gas consumption.
    Maybe our fireplace is ideally situated.

I know it’s ineffecient but it keeps us warm and is lovely to have through the winter.

sharkbait
    Free Member

[quoteAnecdotally, our living room gets warmer when we light the fire.[/quote]
    And cooler when it’s not lit due to the hole in your roof (you can’t close) and the fact that warm air rises. Before I replaced one of our open fires with a stove there was a cold air draft coming down the flue during the winter.
    I like the look of open fires but can’t stand their inefficiency.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Old wine box inner worked wonders for closing rhe old open fire chimney for many years at maw and paws

Only issue was getting the box liner as none of us drank wine 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cassette/inset wood burners’ is closed to new replies.