Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Cassette wobble
  • themyers
    Free Member

Hi

I was hoping someone may have an idea what is going on.

I have an 11 speed ultegra cassette on a mavic wheel (road). I. Recently took the cassette off and dunked it in degreaser (stupid I know). I left it in too long (hours) and it left the spacers and lock ring rough feeling and a white deposit on the cassette body.

When I refit the cassette it wobbles a bit when you grab it and give it a wobble. Also in the turbo you can noticeably see it is not running straight.

I am pretty sure it is not the free hub as I have had these go before and usually you feel a wobble when you remove the wheel side to side.

So basically I am saying is it likely that the degreaser has mucked the cassette up??

Cheers:)

4ags4
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re missing the spacer usually required on a mavic hub.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

As 4ags4 says, I had this issue when swapping a cassette on a mavic wheel, and didn’t spot it on the old casette for a good 30 mins, has it dropped off when you were working on it

Looks like this
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic-cassette-spacer/rp-prod25399

otsdr
    Free Member

I was under the impression that the spacer is only used with 10 speed cassettes, 11 ones are wider and don’t need it.

themyers
    Free Member

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

I initially thought the same but I think that the 11 speed cassette do not need a spacer. In fact I did try a small one and it didn’t make a difference.i could try putting a full spacer on as I do have one, but I think there would not be room to tighten the lock ring.

I did do a bit of searching. There appear to be a lot of YouTube videos about this that talk about it just being an effect of not perfect machining between the hub and cassette.

I must say I have never noticed it before, but I guess if it shifts OK then maybe it is not an issue?

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Cassette wobble’ is closed to new replies.