Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cassette weight.. how much difference does it actually make?
  • steadyeddy
    Free Member

Currently looking at upgrading my xc bike to Sram eagle. Everyone around me is telling me to go XX1 for the weight and the bling factor, but performance wise I’m only saving around 120grams (would keep my current carbon cranks) so I’m swaying more towards GX. I’m not top level racer, I’m only looking to get into racing this year so it’s not like I need every edge I can get, but I’m pondering to go for the XX1 while I can afford it!

So yeah, would I notice that rotational weight on the cassette? And anyone seen any deals about?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve got a XG-1275 cassette, X01 Eagle mech and GX Eagle shifter to sell, removed from a new bike so as new. dc30online AT gmail.com if you want to discuss.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My yardstick for these kinds of decision is XT.

The 11-46t XT m8000 cassette is around the 441g mark. GX eagle 10-50t is 450g. It’s maybe not that hard a decision looking at it like this?

benpinnick

No you’ll not notice the weight…. but if you add 120g to every component you would. Best to do it on the ones that wear out though like a cassette. Save those beans for buying lighter stuff you won’t need to replace every X miles I say.

boxxer7
    Free Member

I’ve got an X01 cassette admittedly it’s not eagle (11spd) which is now 3.5 years old and has just gone on it’s 3rd bike and taken it’s 5th chain, it’s done 3500 miles through winters and summers and still shifts the same as my almost new GX cassette on my other bike.

Based on the costs vs the wear rate I’d have zero problem spending the extra on an X01 cassette to save the weight there’s a fair difference between them with one in each hand it’s not like it’s worn out fast.

Kryton57

I’ve got an X01 cassette admittedly it’s not eagle (11spd) which is now 3.5 years old and has just gone on it’s 3rd bike and taken it’s 5th chain, it’s done 3500 miles through winters and summers and still shifts the same as my almost new GX cassette on my other bike.

Based on the costs vs the wear rate I’d have zero problem spending the extra on an X01 cassette to save the weight there’s a fair difference between them with one in each hand it’s not like it’s worn out fast.

You’ve no idea how happy you’ve made me feel after I discovered my Eagle replacement is £170…

molgrips
    Free Member

120g of any one component won’t make a difference. Individual light components don’t. But when you save 25% of ALL the components, it makes a huge difference.

steadyeddy
    Free Member

The 120gram was across the whole group set, about 80gram on just the cassette I think, it sounds like it’s not worth it! Can kit myself out with gx for less than just the XX1 cassette. I don’t know why I’m still pondering, that shiny gold does look nice though…

ta11pau1

steadyeddy – Member
    The 120gram was across the whole group set, about 80gram on just the cassette I think, it sounds like it’s not worth it! Can kit myself out with gx for less than just the XX1 cassette. I don’t know why I’m still pondering, that shiny gold does look nice though…

It’s more like 100g just on the cassette, 448g for GX, 354 for X01 and 360g for XX1.

Weights

I’d go for the X01 casette and X01 shifter with the adjustable lever position – then the GX mech and chain.

100g here, 200g there and it doesn’t take much to get half a kilo or more saved in weight.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cassette weight.. how much difference does it actually make?’ is closed to new replies.