Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cassette Wear – how do you know when to replace?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

I just checked the chain of a road bike I picked up second hand with one of those chain checker tools, and it was well overdue replacement. Thing is the chain never skipped, not once! I now have no idea how to tell how badly worn the cassette is, looks ‘ok’ to my untrained eye but really I’m guessing. Is there a way to tell by looking at it? No idea how long it had been on there although the bikes from 2007 – and the cassette looks original spec! That said the bike looked pretty well looked after.

Anyhow, my dilemma is do I:

a: Stick it back on, ride it till it fall apart then replace cassette and chain (and possible chainrings/jockeys?)
    b; New chain – use the old cassette and see what happens
    c: Replace both, not ideal from a cash perspective.

Thoughts? Preferred option in B, however i’m thinking running a new chain on an old (worn) cassette, even for a short time won’t be a great idea

AlasdairMc

Option B – keep replacing chains until a new chain doesn’t fix the slipping.

v8ninety

So, is it all still working fine? I don’t personally see the point in fixing something that isn’t broken, just on the say so of a measuring tool. If you start to get shifting or skipping issues, then fix it.

highclimber
    Free Member

you can’t do anything better or worse than putting a new chain on to see if it meshes. if it doesn’t and you don’t ride it like that for a prolonged period you can always change the cassette at a later date.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If the chain is as worn as you say, option B won’t work, the chain will skip.

Toss up between A and C.

chiefgrooveguru

With a 1×10 transmission, when the cassette and chain are worn out and replaced, can you flip the singlespeed front ring around so it runs as new?

mudshark
    Free Member

Once a chain has stretched too far no point using a new one with the cassette/chainrings as the chain won’t last long even if it doesn’t skip. Keep what you’ve got whilst it still works though the chain might explode eventually!

tpbiker
    Free Member

thanks

Would a bike Mechanic be able to tell by eye? I’d happily run as is if I didn’t think I’d be grinding my ultegra chainrings to dust…

that said, they might also be totally f*cked by now..I really have no idea!

Rorschach
    Free Member

No.I would’nt 😉

mudshark
    Free Member

Chain rings are easier to tell by eye when they’re worn – shark teeth. I’d imagine they’re worn so stick with what you have and try to change your chain more often in future – at the 0.75% point. You can try to cycle your chains so that you change a few at 0.75% then leave one on until the 1% and then go back to the 1st ones.

Grimy
    Free Member

Yes I would, and so could any other mechanic worth their salt. However, for the cost of a chain, I’d go with option B. Fit a new chain and see how it goes.

Three outcomes are:-

a) It works! your quids in.

b) Worn cassetts tend to cause slip, where as worn chainsets tend to cause chain suck. If your getting slip and no suck, I’d get a new cassette.

C) your getting chain suck. Put the old chain back on and get every pennys worth out the old rings whislt you save up to replace the lot.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cassette Wear – how do you know when to replace?’ is closed to new replies.