Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cassette Removal – 7speed kids bike
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Bearing removed easily from this side.

The retaining nut in this pic below is seized.

Mini SBH’s rear wheel 20″.
    Problem: – How do I remove the retaining nut on the Cassette side in order to remove the cassette to get at the bearings?

I have tried to “lock” the nuts on the non-drive side to provide some traction but the whole spindle turns.
    I have tried using molgrips to prevent movement but have only succeeded in damaing the threads (redressed and working again now).

Please write your solution below…

thanks

reggiegasket
    Free Member

do you need to get the cassette off to get at the bearings?

I take it you can’t just pull the axle out then, by removing the NDS cone+nut and then pull it through from the DS?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

That’s not a cassette but a screw on freewheel. Different tool.
    Easiest way to to get the tool in a vice, drop the freewheel on it & use the rim as a lever to unscrew it.
    The tool fits over the locknut on the axle & into the splines in the freewheel
    *edit* same as this, but solid axle not qr

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

@Goldenwonder – tried using the removal tool but it won’t engage the splines properly hence the need to remove the lock nut. Osrry I appreciate that it is not a cassette. 😳

@ reggiegasket – unfortunately this does not seem to work.

aracer
    Free Member

Try harder to lock the nuts on the NDS – use proper long spanners to put lots of torque in. Then when you’ve done that use the nut nearest the hub to turn against, as that will tighten the two nuts together.

Alternatively get a different freewheel tool which will reach over that nut.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

@aracer – is that a STWTFU by another name… 😀 will try harder and report back…

Edric64
    Free Member

Get the right tool that fits over the drive side nut and place in a vice then it should unwind easily

flowerpower
    Free Member

@ SBH – I’m not convinced that we have the correct free wheel removal tool. There appear to be different tools for different wheels, according to this… Sheldon Brown we have one similar to the atom/regina (?) splined, and I suspect that it may be a shimano wheel…

EDIT – Just guessing at Shimano – its a Kids Marin.

orangeboy
    Free Member

There is a good chance that all that’s holding the drive side cone from coming through the freewheel is the metal ring round the cone.
    That ring is just pressed onto the cone.
    If you remove all the nuts and cone from the left you MAY be able to tap out the axle with a rubber/ nylon mallet
    This often just leaves the drive side bearing and metal ring in place and gives you the room to use your free wheel tool

Given its a kids bike why do you want it apart

orangeboy
    Free Member

Your pic shows a sun race freewheel which should take a shimano free wheel tool and not the finer spline Regina tool

goldenwonder
    Free Member

As above, you have the wrong tool.
    The right one will fit over the axle locknut.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cassette Removal – 7speed kids bike’ is closed to new replies.