• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cassette question
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

10 speed cassettes, 11-32, 34 & 36
    Is it just the largest spocket that’s different on the above sizes or is the entire range different
    Just sat here wondering and can’t be bothered to go and count the teeth !

RDL-82
    Free Member

No, after the first 2 or 3 sprockets they are different. So they are all 11-13-15 say and then become different for the rest.
    They are/were listed on Shimanos site.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Google shimano tech docs. Most likely listed on there.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Google CS-M771 EV and the first result is the exploded diagram link. The only size sprocket they all have in the same place is the 11t.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Hhmmm, interesting, so which is the most common / best / preferred
    Cassette size to go for…? Is there one size that’s more suitable to a type of riding than others
    Will I actually notice any difference if I ride 2 bikes with different size cassettes, apart from the obvious extra couple of teeth in 1st gear?

JoeG
    Free Member

Oddly enough, though SRAM and Shimano both make 10 speed 11-36 cassettes, they used different sized cogs for some of the middle ones.

Shimano – 11,13,15,17,19,21,24,28,32,36
    SRAM – 11,12,14,16,18,21,24,28,32,36

njee20
    Free Member

I’d get 11-36, the jumps aren’t noticeable on an MTB and the range is better.

br
    Free Member

Hhmmm, interesting, so which is the most common / best / preferred
    Cassette size to go for…? Is there one size that’s more suitable to a type of riding than others
    Will I actually notice any difference if I ride 2 bikes with different size cassettes, apart from the obvious extra couple of teeth in 1st gear?

tbh Its simples’, on an MTB you’ll only really notice when you have to get off and walk on a steep hill whether you’ve a low enough gear. Therefore buy one that has a low enough gear. And if you’re having to ask, it’ll be the 36.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cassette question’ is closed to new replies.