Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cassette Play?
  • smartay

Riding yesterday ruined by “ticking/ creak” from drive side of bike.

Removed rear wheel to check for bearing play/float but found more play in the cassette to hub, I recon 0.030/50″.

How much should I expect to find or should there be nothing?

smartay

I’ll ring my LBS !!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Take it in. It could be anything from a loose lock ring to a snapped axle. Do you have the tools to remove the cassette yourself?

z1ppy

How old is the rear wheel, whats the hub?
    Assuming the cassette is done up tights (I’ve had them work loose), it could be the freehub is on it’s way out. Couple of mm doesn’t sound like it’s completely knackered, but if it is the source of the movement it’s on it’s way out.

If you have the tools, take the cassette off, and check the freehub for movement.

2orangey4crows

May just need a tighten. My XT cassette seems to hate my Hope ProII hub so much that it tries to come off practially every ride. I carry a lock ring tool with me these days…

MrTall
    Free Member

Mine was similar last week, turned out the bearings in the freehub body were shot so got a new one in there and it’s all good now. This is assuming we’re talking about a sealed bearing wheel, if it’s a cup and cone you may just get away with tightening it up.

rwc03
    Free Member

Yep, my xt cassette came loose after a few months, just re-torque it up, supposed to about 40Nm (which I take to mean as tight as you possibly can)

Although if it is loose I’d take it off and clean it before tightening it, as they can be a pain to get off.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cassette Play?’ is closed to new replies.