Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cassette in the dishwasher
  • robgclarkson
    Free Member

is this really a thing?

if so, what programe does one use?

and i’m assuming there’s no dirty residue left?

the wife may be away for a few days, and i may have plans!!!

say nothing of what you’ve read here ❗

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A small tub of diesel will be way quicker and leave it cleaner

ottocat
    Free Member

Only if the wife doesn’t notice!!

globalti
    Free Member

DON’T DO IT if there is an alloy spider on the cassette; the hot caustic water will surface erode the alloy and leave it looking all dull and lumpy. Guess how I know this?

joshvegas
    Free Member

You should never wash colours and silvers together Globalti

nickc

I wouldn’t bother.

as already mentioned, slosh it about in some petrol or white spirits in a bucket.

matther01
    Free Member

Hand wash only…don’t forget the marigolds

cookeaa

I’ve done it!

As an experiment, with a cheap cassette (HG50) and Chain, No alloy carrier though… it worked, I put it through a second rinse only cycle after without a tablet, then I gave it a thorough rinse straight after and a good coating of oil before it went back on the bike, its still fully functional (but sat in the spares box now)…

It shifted pretty much all the greasy crap between the sprockets that I couldn’t be arsed to get at, effectively its the same as shoving an old baking tray in there and hoping it’ll take all the nasty oily burnt stuff after its been used for a roast so you won’t have to, do it twice a week and it won’t last long, once in a blue moon and it’s probably OK…

Would I do it with XTR or XX1 parts? Of course not, but for my cheapo Deore (and below) stuff and bits off the Winter SS? Yeah I’ll maybe do it again.

But only When the missus is out!

faustus

It seems like such a waste of electric, water, chemicals and time to do it this way. It seems easier because you’re putting it in a machine, but it’s not.

Old ice cream tub (or any old tub) and some white spirit and all the muck and cack will fall off, and after a quick rinse will look like new. Quick floss with a rag and it looks amazing. Only a small amount of chemical used, less faff.

welshfarmer

I stick mine on the concrete and pressure wash em. They come up like new in a couple of seconds

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Not done a Cassette, but did once put some rotors in. Didn’t come up any cleaner than a quick hand scrub and I got caught when I got sidetracked and forgot to take them out before SWMBO got home.

atlaz
    Free Member

I bought some engine degreaser in a compressed can. 30 seconds later, shiny cassette (7 years without a clean too)

Wozza
    Free Member

This stuff is brilliant, except it’s £9 a can and lasts approximately 30 seconds before it’s empty.

Point it at the cassette and watch months of wet lube and shiz go all limp and fall off.

If anyone knows of a better (cheaper) version that doesn’t require the removal of the cassette and elbow grease then i’d love to know what it is.

cookeaa

It seems like such a waste of electric, water, chemicals and time to do it this way. It seems easier because you’re putting it in a machine, but it’s not.

Old ice cream tub (or any old tub) and some white spirit and all the muck and cack will fall off, and after a quick rinse will look like new. Quick floss with a rag and it looks amazing. Only a small amount of chemical used, less faff.

Well what you describe is more “work”, admittedly not much more and certainly a more efficient use of resources but yeah the lazy modern man likes to chuck things in a machine and pull them out a bit later all clean and sparkly…

I normally use an Old Celebrations Tub and white spirit for Cassettes or an old milk bottle for the just chain, basically the same method, I just thought I’d try the dishwasher myth out, and it did actually work for me.

The one thing I tend to find soaking and shaking drivetrain bits about in tubs of white spirit, is that while it shifts a lot of the crap it never quite gets it all, and you will still end up needing to scrub a bit more, the dish washer seemed to shift more of the detritus and left it in a pretty much fit to use state when finished…

I’m not really advocating it, I’m just saying it is possible and it really does require almost no effort or thought (other than evading the missus)…

markshires
    Free Member

I use the degreaser, it works wonders just spray a bit on give it a rub down with a brush, leave for 2 mins and then rinse off. I used to use the much off stuff, but have since found you can buy degreaser in the pound shops(only half size cans) and does the same job.

Last time I was in one they also did some bike cleaning stuff called dirty bike, like the pink muc off stuff, which was pretty good also

luket

Did mine the other week when the better half went away. As above I stripped the anodising off an XT cassette. Oldish cassette so unconcerned but it’s worth knowing! Nice and clean though.

Wasted time and resources? I was running the dishwasher anyway. As I said, the chief was away…

m1kea
    Free Member

Am I the only one who splits cassettes down to individual cogs and hand cleans them?

WD40, GT85 or whatever else is to hand works for me.

Yes I know some of the spiders don’t split down but hand cleaning is therapeutic.

ads678

WD40 😯

get ready for a flamming!!

Northwind

I ended up with a load of old, bad petrol after the most recent attempt to get my motorbike going, so that’s all in a paint tin being the nuclear option for dirty parts. Throw in, soak, shoogle, try not to burn house down.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I tried it, I wouldn’t bother, paraffin etc does a better job.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Whats the point – it will only get full of crap again
    degrease – brush – spin the wheel
    What you can see is all the chain can see

welshfarmer

You can use any chemical you fancy on a cassette, be it a degreaser, WD40, Brake cleaner, Cillit Bang, Muck off etc. JUST MAKE SURE THE CASSETTE IS OFF THE BIKE. Chances are you can spray the stuff on the cassette while fitted without too many problems but it won’t take much of any of those chemicals to get behind the cassette and strip out the grease from your hub bearings and/or freewheel. Removing the cassette takes only seconds anyway.

DT78
    Free Member

whats wrong with wd40? I find it cleans stuff up really well?

timmys

WD40

He’s cleaning with it not trying to lube anything. Seems fine to me (though GT85 smells x1000 nicer natch).

m1kea
    Free Member

timmys – Member

WD40

He’s cleaning with it not trying to lube anything. Seems fine to me (though GT85 smells x1000 nicer natch).

Thank you

Many years ago I tried cleaning bits with Coke (the drink) and tomato sauce (separately). Slightly alarming how quickly 1p and 2ps buffed up.

Oh and Comma spray grease is great for gear levers, linkage bearings etc

faustus

Why did you need to have such shiny pennies? A particularly picky retailer!? 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cassette in the dishwasher’ is closed to new replies.