Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Car/Van Insurance Question
  • astormatt
    Free Member

Hopefully someone can clear this up for me as i have had 2 different answers from friends.
    I have full protected ncb on my car, i have 1 years ncb on my van, i had a little accident in my van the other day and managed to stove in the sill and dent/bend the bottom of my sliding door.
    I want to go through the insurance under accidental damage, but a friend has said i have to declare it when i come to renew my car insurance.
    Is that right? My thinking is, my car and van are under 2 separate polices, with 2 seperate insures, so i would only have to notify when I renew my van insurance.
    I know my car is protected and i am not claiming on my cars policy, but surely a mention of a claim will put it up slightly next year?

legend
    Free Member

Yes you do have to declare it, the claims question doesn’t have anything to do with the policy you claimed on. However, you’re NCD isn’t affected. And yes your other policy may go up as you’re now a higher risk

dannybgoode

You have to mention it. It won’t affect your ncd but it may nudge the premium north.

The question they ask is ‘have you had any accidents etc in the last 12 months whether your fault or not’.

The answer to that is clearly yes. Note your van insurers will have noted the claim on the MIB systems so any insurers will be able to see it.

spooky_b329

And the risk of not declaring it, is that on renewal, the car policy is refused because the claim on the van has been added to the insurance database and you failed tod declare it, and then forever more, you have to say ‘yes’ to the question that asks ‘Have you ever had insurance refused/cancelled etc when getting quotes.

duncancallum

how bad is it?

but to echo the above yes and it will affect the premium due to perceived risk increase.

astormatt
    Free Member

Thanks for clearing it up. I would rather be safe than sorry.
    Guess i have been lucky i haven’t had an accident or anything in my car as 3 or so years ago i wrote off the company work van, have since gone self employed and have never declared it, thinking that my own insurance is not affected.
    Rather stupid of me for thinking that to be honest.
    Damage isn’t too bad, but will cost me a lot more than the £300 excess and the cost of hiring a van while it’s away being sorted if i pay for it myself.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Car/Van Insurance Question’ is closed to new replies.