Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cartridge bearing replacement help
  • SandyThePig
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’ve got a Genesis Day One, with a unbranded front 6 bolt disc hub.

I’m trying to replace the cartridge bearings – I’ve managed to get replacements as I got the codes off the seals on the old one.

My question is: how do I get the old bearings out?

The cover (with dropout “grip”) slid off with no resistance on the non disc side, however the disc side is firmly held in place.

I’ve tried:
    [list][*]Pressing both sides with my fingers[/*][*]Inserting allen keys into the axle[/*][*]Hitting the axle from both sides with a block of wood and a hammer (bit scared doing this though)[/*][/list]

Any ideas?

z1ppy

Before you do this just check there no clip holding the bearing you can see in…I’d pop an old rotor bolt onto the qr hole on the non disc side & bash the axle (hitting the rotor bolt!), bearing & cover off, obviously supporting the disc side hub (I’ve used bits of 3×4 wood before buying a tool). Then just bash the bearing & cover off the axle. Use a drift (screwdriver at worst) to drive the other bearing off the hub, tapping it in a circular motion, all the way round to get it out evenly. use the axle to push the other bearing out, while supporting the hub

supersaiyan
    Free Member

Assuming the qr end caps are push fit and not screwed in, you could try wrapping the other end cap in a bit of electrical tape then wiggle it off with a vice or some pliers.
    But…
    more brute force and arrogance should do the trick. A mallet would be best, but hit the axle firmly from the side where you’ve already removed the end cap, and you should drift out the bearing and the other end cap. Do this onto an old bit of carpet or something and it may come out with some speed.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d **** the axle really hard from the drive side to remove the cap and bearing from the disc side. Then drift the bearing and cap from the axle. Finally, drift the bearing out of the shell from the other side. Keep hold of the old bearings as they’re useful for protecting the new bearings as you push them in.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I’ll have another go tomorrow.

PhilO
    Free Member

As above.

In addition, you could try pouring boiling water over the hub shell before you start. The aluminium will expand more than the steel of the bearing rings and loosen the grip slightly. If there’s any trace of corrosion between the steel and Al, the thermal shock may also break this away, making removal easier.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

Just to say thanks again. It all worked out.

The old rotor bolts tip was a good one. I used a roll of electrical tape on its side to support the hub while I drove it out.

I just needed to use a bit more force. Additionally I didn’t have a drift, but after digging around for a few minutes I found a hope bore cap removal tool that turned out to be an excellent substitute.

Fitting the new bearings was straightforward after I’d thought about it – I didn’t rush anything.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

I also used the electrical tape + vice trick for something else – thanks for that.

It terms of heat, I’ve done that before and was prepared to do that here, but didn’t bother in the end.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cartridge bearing replacement help’ is closed to new replies.