Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • cartridge bearing question – generic or branded?
  • snowpaul
    Free Member

hello all,

I need new bearings in my DT and a mates Hope xc hub… Theres a whole world of bearings out there – normally just buy whatevers cheapest but I am considering buying dearer ones ( but not ceramic prices !) are the 8 quid SKF really worth the extra over 2 quid ones from my local supplier?
    I normally get a year or so out of bearings as I lube em up before fitting

cheers

paul

nbt

I once bought a set of generic bearings off ebay – £8 for 10 as opposed to £8 each. My reasoning was that even if they only lasted 2 months, with 5 pairs they'd be ok for a tenner.

they lasted 6 weeks and collapsed. the inner race was stuck on the axle, and the outer race was stuck in the freehub. A new free hub and a new axel cost far more than the few quid I saved on a set of SKF bearings that I would expect to last for 12-18 months (at least, based on the proper SKF bearings I bought afterwards)

Macavity
    Free Member
    uplink
    Free Member

Whilst SKF bearings for the Hope XC can be had for £3 or so – I wouldn't bother with cheapy ones

http://www.bearing-king.co.uk/bearing/6001-2rsh-skf/4183

doug_basqueMTB.com

I used a company last week called AK bearings and can highly recommend them. I only spent £15 but they talked me through all the options and what was best and then when I went away and made a mistake on my order they got back in touch with me and told me what I'd done! Really good service.

Sorry that's not a direct answer to your question!

bigyinn
    Free Member

+1 for AK Bearings

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘cartridge bearing question – generic or branded?’ is closed to new replies.