Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cartrackworld: repairing minor paint chips/scratches?
  • plyphon
    Free Member

My car has got a load of motorway chips and a few careless scratches from previous owners. Didn’t bother me for a while but it’s tilting me whenever I wash it these days. They’re the kind of things you wouldn’t notice walking past the car but when you look a bit closer it’s covered.

What are my options? Are those “paint repair kits” worth it? Do the paint pens work? Or is it worth just going to a paint repair bloke and paying (what I imagine is) quite a sum?

Cheers

rocketman
    Free Member

Have never had any success with DIY kits they just turn one blemish into another (bigger) one esp on metallics. There’s a chips away place near where I work they really to go to town when fixing dents/scratches/scuffs etc

Sometimes if there are a lots of marks the whole panel gets repainted which when you sell begs the question why has this panel been resprayed? Lots of little marks or one big impact?

jeffl

Interested in this after someone left I nice scratch on my care after parking it at Heathrow for 2 weeks. It’s metallic and a the scratch is a couple of inches long, hasn’t gone through the base coat. Any idea on the cost of a smart repair?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rocketman
    Free Member

So much depends on the paint & size, location and depth of the scratch. A delivery van reversed into my Focus and creased the bonnet (not much) but that was £500+. A small dent caused by something in the road £250+. Easy to repair scratch £125. Keying down the side several hundred if not more. Local approved body shop will make it invisible but expensive

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve had no success with DIY either, just ends up with a bigger mess which looks worse!

I’d say get a professional in, or try not to notice 🙂

Or hunt for another panel on eBay, but i’m not sure if colours usually match ok??

trail_rat
    Free Member

roller the whole car nato green.

works two fold. hides scratches.

no one will park near you 😀

Hope this helps.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve had no success with DIY either, just ends up with a bigger mess which looks worse!

Used to have the same problem but was given the tip of not using the brush as it holds too much paint but instead use a pin and move the paint to the edges of the chip. Allow to dry and build up the layers until level.

Flaperon

I’ve had a fair amount of success on paint chips with the little touch-up kits from eBay. You really have to take your time though, placing a tiny drop of paint in the chip with a plastic toothpick, letting it dry, then adding another until it’s filled, then adding a drop of lacquer on top.

Managed to fix a scrape on a door mirror with the same kit, and it was pretty obvious if you looked at it from the right angle. Fortunately the finance company didn’t look at it too carefully…

plyphon
    Free Member

Hmm yeh, as I thought regarding the touch up kits. Nato green does sound tempting.

plyphon
    Free Member

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cartrackworld: repairing minor paint chips/scratches?’ is closed to new replies.