Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cartophiles heaven
  • onehundredthidiot

I quite like a map so found myself sitting in a car park in Dunbar this morning waiting for a dark seemingly empty shop to open. And it was worth it Edinburgh university geography dept binned 25000 maps and a local charity intercepted them before the landfill and we’re selling them at £2 a map.

So I’ve got a huge geological map of the outer hebrides and several 1914 OS maps. A war office 1940 map of the part of tiperrary my mums from and interestingly a couple of ww2 German maps one of central Europe and one that seems to show an area of Slovakia and the populations of Slovaks, Poles Jews in each town.

Not often I enjoy shopping

hammyuk
    Free Member

Yet again this bloody forum needs a “Like” button!!

simondbarnes

Ace

parkesie
    Free Member

I’ve wallpaperd a wall using Swansea university geology department maps of Wales and the Lake District found in a charity shop.

bajsyckel

Nice one – care to enlighten us which shop exactly? I may be tempted to call in if there’s anything worth perusing next week.

bencooper
    Free Member

Glasgow Uni library does that sometimes, I got some of Glasgow docks in the ’50s for £1 each.

mikey74
    Free Member

Dammit! I’d love some of the geological maps

CountZero

Damn, what a find!
    Shame it’s so far away from me.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I got a load of OS ‘hardbacked’ maps of Scotland for free from a library person who worked in the prison library. Not that old either. (neither/either were that old) 8)

onehundredthidiot

It was a group called “zero waste East Lothian” they have a Facebook page. They must have 000s more.

https://www.facebook.com/zerowastethebigpick/

“We’ve got a really interesting sale happening on Sunday, in what https://www.facebook.com/zerowastethebigpick/ be our new Dunbar Shop!! Come buy some gorgeous maps, have a nosey and hear more about the project.

Hope to see you Sunday. There will be a queueing system for the maps so please be patient, these are the hardest things to display and sell! :-)”

bajsyckel

Nice one – will have to get down to the next sale

bigjim

Oh man I would have loved this. FYI the annual second hand book sale on George Street has some good old maps, you need to be down towards the start though as the most interesting ones go pretty quickly. One of the highlights was a leather bound case of maps that used to come in Rolls Royces many decades ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cartophiles heaven’ is closed to new replies.