Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cars with no service history….
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

What is it….
    After a pretty rare model of vehicle and been to look at two this week over 2 hours away.
    They were both advertised as having all the paperwork etc but when I got there and asked to see a copy of the service history the garage couldn’t provide it.made ear various excuses as to why etc
    One was an ex rental vehicle the other was a trade in, both 4 years old with 80k ish miles on them.
    Would you be bothered or would you walk away…?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Bought mine with 50k on the clock and no service history. I had a good look round and felt happy that there was nothing untoward and bought it. In all fairness it’s a big lump of a diesel and it’d take a moron to break it, but I’ve run it for the past year or so with only a service and change of front pads. It sailed through its last MOT.
    Give it a look, trust your judgement and push for discount as there’s no history.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If they lied about that what else did they lie about.

It wouldnt bother me much , but te price would need to reflect it and i find dealers are insulted when i offer what im prepared to pay with no service history….. Although i got lucky once.,.. Offtered a very low price on a 3 year old 35k miles van that wouldnt start for a test drive and had no history…..but drove perfect once jump started.

He wanted 4800 and i got for 3500 cash trade sale.( no warrenty)

Had that for 7 years / 75k miles !

parkesie
    Free Member

Depends on the price and overal condition of the car. Advertised as full history but has none id want to reduce the price and factor in a full service.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Depends on the make of car also,

LHS
    Free Member

I have sold a couple of cars through webuyanycar.com and they consistently lose the service history. Have had two people contact me who have bought cars asking if I have them or not. I didn’t but was able to give them reassurance and details on the service history. If you are after some reassurance then perhaps look at previous owner on V5 and make contact.

skids
    Free Member

I would have serious concerns over any car that has not been serviced once in 4 years

trail_rat
    Free Member

There is a difference between documenting service and not servicing it though.

I had a quick look at the fuel ( not possible without toools on most cars – but was on mine ) and air filter on mine and was sure it had been serviced …..

Had they been manket i would have walked.

skids
    Free Member

If the garage selling the car have not at least given it a service before selling it on then I would definitely walk, there are plenty of places that do not even check over cars before selling them on

Edukator
    Free Member

When buying an ex-rental assume 40-50 000 miles per year whatever it says on the clock. I bought an ex-rental van that seemed legit. 60 000km in 11 months. No signs whatsoever of any servicing in that time.

mav12
    Free Member

ring a main dealer they may be able to tell you iif said cars have any seevice history

Cougar

Plenty of cars on the market, don’t let your heart rule your head. If I’d been told it had FSH and then travelled 2 hours to go and see it to find it’d mysteriously disappeared, I’d be travelling 2 hours home again until they mysteriously found it again.

All other things aside that’s not a garage I’d want to deal with, they’re either lying or incompetent.

hora
    Free Member

Evenin’. If I’d driven two hours I’d be annoyed. Something called basic trust. What else is being hidden? If the car has any issues will they suddenly be open and willing to solve?

Northwind

skids – Member

I would have serious concerns over any car that has not been serviced once in 4 years

My car gets serviced on the schedule and more, but there’s no service history other than my notes (and some white dates on components). You would be mental to buy it, mind, but not for that reason.

jimjam
    Free Member

Don’t do it. You have no idea what that service history might be hiding. I let my heart rule my head on a car purchase and ended up needing a new engine.

On cars which I’ve serviced myself I’ve kept receipts for the service items used to illustrate what was done and when.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Same as Jimjam, my car has no stamps but does have the history filled in (by me) and a wedge of recipts for parts/oil.

I guess its different on a new car though, new car owners arent the type to b doing oil changes on the driveway.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

What car?

jeffl

Yep I used to service my old car. Service history filled in by my own fair hand but more importantly a wedge or receipts for fluids, filters, wiper blades, discs and pads; plus a couple of receipts from the garage for big work that I couldn’t be bothered to do myself.

Sold it privately in the end but got a couple of PX prices and both classified it as a FSH. However it was 9 years old with 125,000 miles on the clock so not exactly nearly new.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The default setting for anyone involved in the motor trade is to lie to you.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

What he said ^^^^^^

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cars with no service history….’ is closed to new replies.