Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Cars – What could go wrong?
  • epicyclo

DavidB – Member
    …So I’ve done something really silly and handed the whole problem over to wife…

My father made that mistake. Gave my mother a budget figure, enough to buy a new decent spec Mini (back in the 60s).

She came home with a very nice slightly used Jag Mk8. 🙂

theprancinghorse
    Free Member

Renault Scenic, girls for some reason love that car for some reason.

tom200

It will be a Vauxhall zafira and you will die in a fire. Bad move.

CountZero

Vauxhall Zafira. Good luck.

Nothing wrong with the Zafira, other than the heater issue that causes spontaneous immolation, but I think those are the ones built by Samsung, so best avoided.
    Otherwise, the newer models are fine, there’s a 63-plate one sat outside at the moment, one of at least a dozen, probably nearer twenty I’ve driven over the last ten-eleven months, and the more recent ones are comfy, well-equipped, the one I’ve got at the mo’ has DAB, but no satnav, goes like the clappers, it’s a 2.0 diesel, six-speed ‘box, and just does its job well.
    I’d suggest a Qashqai as well, loads about, as they’re popular with the Motability crowd, as are Zafiras, are also pretty well equipped, one I drove this afternoon had a heated screen, first I’ve seen on a Nissan.
    The Ford B-Max, C-Max and S-Max are also great cars, especially the B-Max, being Fiesta-based they’re really nimble little cars, but the sliding rear doors make a huge difference to rear access, with the hatch up, doors slid back and front doors open, getting stuff into the back is a piece of piss.
    Plus all Fords get heated screens, good seats, great engines, and are just terrific family cars, I haven’t driven a duff one yet.
    The C-Max gets conventional rear doors, unless you go for the Grand C-Max 7-seater, which is basically Ford’s answer to the Zafira.
    Got to be high up the list to be looked at.
    https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/ford-b-max-vs-c-max-0414

Cougar

Place your bets now on what will be on my drive next week.

Something you hate.

What do I win?

stevedoc
    Free Member

3rd shout for a Jazz or Civic , or spend the money on a VW EGR DMF EML MAF or other Vag variant

Cougar

In seriousness, this:

-car must fit 3 people and 2 bikes with wheels off

and this:

my daughter is learning

Are mutually exclusive. I expect that anything that meets your criteria will cost you them more than the cost of the vehicle on insurance.

I know you’re not being involved, but I’d strongly suggest you recommend they get insurance quotes before buying anything. I think if it were me I’d budget £500-1000 on something with about 50PS for the daughter and the rest on the family car.

nixie

Not mutually exclusive. You can get 3+3 bikes in a 1l polo which would be fine for a learner.

wilburt
    Free Member

Sons 1.6 focus was £800 fully comp @19 newly passed test.
    It’s not so much about the car(within reason).

DavidB
    Free Member

They have come home with a red Mazda 2. 2012 30k on the clock and got £2.2k for our shagged out X-Trail

It could have been worse

CountZero

It could have been worse

Could have been a Berlingo or a Partner… 😉

MrOvershoot

DavidB – Member

They have come home with a red Mazda 2. 2012 30k on the clock and got £2.2k for our shagged out X-Trail

It could have been worse

Could have been a lot worse

From Honest John

+Enjoyable and fun to drive. Economical engines. Sensibly priced. Feels well built. Ride harshness over bumps improved for 2011.

-Interior plastics aren’t soft to touch. Side bump strips a dealer-fit option. rear seats don’t fold flat.

mightymule
    Free Member

Something with those stupid eyelashes stuck over the headlights….

trail_rat
    Free Member

You best buy a bike rack then.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Cars – What could go wrong?’ is closed to new replies.