Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Cars that fit a bike in the boot with rear seats up?
  • Clong
    Free Member

So, thinking about a getting a new car, but want to get a bike in the boot without folding the rear seats down. Will a VW touran do that with wheels off? S-Max? Not overly fussed about being a 7 seater, but MPV’s seem to score highly on the versitale side of things, which is what im after, particulary with children etc to contend with. Gotta to be a diesel, giving around 50mpg or more (is that the moon on a stick you have there? ill take it…..)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Any decent size estate will do it.

Top picks would be a Mondeo, V70 or Skoda Octavia, IMO. With kids and luggage, a roofbox may be worth a look as well.

MPVs are mind-crushingly dull….

clubber
    Free Member

My current model Mondeo takes my bike (with wheels off or all in a bike bag) in the boot, no problem and it’s big (XL 29er, long seatpost)

djglover
    Free Member

I can get 2 in the back of an Octavia Estate with wheels off and seats up.

Couldn’t even get one in a volvo v50

SamB
    Free Member

My DH bike will happily fit in the boot of my V70 with wheels off. In fact we can usually stack 2-3 DH bikes in there before we have to resort to wheels on laps etc.

brassneck

MPVs are mind-crushingly dull….

However Mondeos are like Vegas every day of course.

Toyota Corolla Verso is worth a look – little cheaper than a Touran on average though I think a little smaller. S-Max is quite a bit bigger, but if you’ve 3+ kids definitely should be considered.

The 50mpg bit is going to be challenging (in the real world) once you’ve ticked the other boxes.

brassneck

.. but if you can live with an estate I’d go V70 they’re huge.

Esme
    Free Member

Smart Car * 😆

I managed to fit a Rockhopper in, with the wheels still on. Struggled to get it out again, though!

(* That’s with the passenger seat folded down – no back seats, obviously)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

brassneck – Member
    .. but if you can live with an estate I’d go V70 they’re huge.

Yep. Mine will swallow three bikes and three people and all associated kit for a long weekend away with ease. Gets a little less than the 50MPG above though, but then it is fun….! 😈

Hairychested
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

Touran with wheels off takes ST4 and Cannondale HT or 29er hardtail.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No way will you get that mileage out of an old 9-Series Ovlov, but they have the biggest boot I have ever seen.

thebunk

Our Zafira fits two bikes in, wheels on etc. Seats fold into the floor, if space is a premium at home.

It is mind crushingly dull to drive though! Can’t deny that…

rocketman
    Free Member

Mondeo will take a slack-angled size L AM bike or a wide-barred hardcore hardtail no problem and still have room for a party in the back

tlr

V70 will take 3 bikes as stated.

Old A6 will take 2 bikes, new A6 might only take one as I haven’t tried 2 yet but it looks tight.

Clong
    Free Member

Cheers peeps, exactly the kind reponses i need, keep them coming.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Add a Honda accord tourer to the list.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You don’t even need a big car. I can get a bike in the back of our Focus estate and pull the luggage cover over it. Wheels off, turn the bars backwards, no problem. 🙂

5lab

mondeo mk2 can fit 5 bikes in the boot with wheels and pedals off. 4 with just wheels off. the newer ones are bigger. I’d imagine a lot of other estates are the same. You can get 2 fully in under the luggage carrier if you need a bit of security.

clubber
    Free Member

PP – doesn’t work on our Focus hatchback – at least not with me-sized bikes.

tomaso
    Free Member

Honda Accord estates have a vast boot that is bigger than a Mondeo or Octavia. Not sure about the Volvo’s boot.

Bez

Honda Jazz boot takes my 63cm road bike with the wheels off, though I suspect the wider bars on an MTB wouldn’t fit.

tonyg2003

Honda Accord MKV11 not a MKVIII. Our new Accord is a “lifestyle” estate. i.e. lots smaller than the last one!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I think the latest accord tourer is a wee bit smaller than the previous model that I have.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP – doesn’t work on our Focus hatchback – at least not with me-sized bikes.

It’s a snug fit with mine… It’s the handlebars that get in the way mostly, they only just fit under the load cover with the bars/forks facing backwards, and I guess we have a wider aperture to chuck it through too! 🙂

sv

Passaat Estate Bluemotion.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

tomaso – Member
    Honda Accord estates have a vast boot that is bigger than a Mondeo or Octavia. Not sure about the Volvo’s boot.

If the new Accord Tourer has a bigger/better boot for bikes than a Mondeo, my cock’s a kipper. Furthermore, the boot on a V70 is way bigger and better for bikes than the Accord. Nice looking car, though.

angeldust
    Free Member

The latest Accord Tourer probably has the smallest boot in the class (~400L), the last one had one of the biggest (~600L). Latest one looks much nicer but is not very practical.

transporter13
    Free Member

We have a new shape galaxy…much like an S max but a larger boot due to a higher roofline.
    I can fit a hardtail bike in the boot without anything being removed.
    On a recent rip to scotland, we managed 860 miles from the 15.4 gallon tank whilst fully loaded and 3 kids

tonyg2003

The new (VIII) accord estate is alot smaller than the VII (we owned 2 previous shape ones and own a current one) with big wheel arch intrusions and a massive load cover/grill thing. Much quieter to drive, better built but no more fun to drive.

cb

transporter – how do find the Galaxy? Tempted by one of those

5lab

transporter – that’s surely with the back most row of seats flat? or both the rear sets of seats flat?

alba23
    Free Member

Honda crv got two inside easy.plus all the other stuff for weekend in the lake district. Only because I refused to pay over £400 for decent bike rack.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I have a Mazda Premacy diesel, ticks all your boxes.

Only thing is they don’t make ’em any more – been replaced in the Mazda range by the Mazda 5, since 2005 I think.

If the 5 is as reliable and economical as its predecessor has been for me, I’d have a look at that. A bit nicer looking as well, which wouldn’t be difficult.

colande
    Free Member

my mk1 punto used to fit my 17in hardtail in with the seats up, both wheels off, the parcel shelf would hang off a bit,

in fact driven up to snowdonia (150 miles) with 3 of us in the punto with camping kit and one bike in boot, and 2 bikes on a rear rack,

fiat punto the perfect biking car 😀

Seggons
    Free Member

4 bmx’s with all the wheels off and 4 people in my 3 door saxo 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

6 people and 6 BMXs with the wheels on all INSIDE my old ’72 VW camper. Beat that! 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Beat that!

Easy. Show it a hill! 😉

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I bought my Avensis hatchback for it’s capacious boot rather than it’s captivating looks and sporting performance. Biggest boot in class circa 2004.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Audi A4 Saloon N Reg used to get the enduro or the heckler in there if I had to.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Cars that fit a bike in the boot with rear seats up?’ is closed to new replies.