Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • cars in deep water
  • chewkw
    Free Member

You mean like this?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xlxtVAyWkk&feature=related[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRmOpfY-1×0[/video]

finishthat
    Free Member

Generally not as deep as this Lada Niva

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sorry yes – distributor, not alternator 🙂

matt_outandabout

The rule of thumb for cars is the bottom of the wheel rim, 4 x 4’s the top of the rim.

I wouldn’t get to work for half the winter with this!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Alanic thats why you extend the breathers from axels and gear box to the top o yer snorkle

Also need to watch bellhousing wading plugs in and the air box is propperly sealed !

globalti
    Free Member

This gave me a few concerns at the time, especially when green water was washing over the bonnet. I was a bit committed so kept up a decent speed and created a bow wave, the air intake is actually very high up in the nearside wing behind the headlamp. The other worrying bit was when the current began spinning the lighter back of the 90 around! I had to empty water out of the headlights afterwards.

trail_rat
    Free Member

As well as wet feet i bet 🙂

CountZero

I remember having one of them early Mini’s – I used cardboard to stop water getting at the distributor cap …..which was located directly behind the radiator grill ( ….proper numpty headed design).

Found out the hard way – every time rain sprayed into & through the radiator or I drove through a puddle – the car ground to a halt.

Chris

I used to have a C-reg Nova, it would die every time I hit any sort of large puddle, which made driving around country roads an interesting lottery. Some years back there was a lot of flooding on roads around N.Wilts and S.Glos, and a friend managed to kill her Megane driving to work at Dyson in Malmesbury. There were three or four of them at the same garage, same problem, sucking water in through a low intake.

CountZero

Love the Stalwart vid! I’ve always wanted one of those, but I’d want a more reliable transmission system, and a less thirsty motor, like a VW V10 diesel.
    Don’t know how you’d re-engineer the drivetrain, I do recall it’s horribly complicated, though. Great truck, apart from that small detail… 😀

alaric

@trail_rat I did extend the breathers! My point was that in stock form, there’s more to worry about than whether or not the engine’s running when you get to the other side of the puddle…

@matt_outandabout I’ve been through deeper today getting around Kent… You can bet the manufacturers spec for most ordinary cars isn’t much, though.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘cars in deep water’ is closed to new replies.