Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Cars again – BMW 3 series , would I kick myself for not getting an estate?!
  • Kryton57

This is very useful. I’ve grown to really like my 159 but the modern german auto’s in high spec are much better at “being looked after” in. I have a work colleague with a 520d that just “connects” with him (well, his iphone) as he sits in it, beautifully automated comfy cruiser IMO.

In two years, I face a decision to continue with older cars for putting bikes in and get a 2nd hand RS4/6, or lease a 335d Estate. Although, Alfa’s 159 replacement is due out in 2017 so I’ll have a look at that first.

razorrazoo

As previously mentioned folding seats are an option on the saloon. When I was buying nearly new a few years ago nothing in the dealer network saloon wise had folding seats. I guess that most people who would need them just buy the touring anyway.

Anyhows, the touring is so much more practical, especially with young kids and the assorted paraphernalia that you end up shifting around every time you go anywhere longer than a few hours. It’s a no brainer for me.

jfletch
    Free Member

How often do you really NEED an estate?

You very rarely need an estate. However it will make your life ever so slightly better every single day.

iainc

The tourer is handy for bikes :

but as said earlier, not really a proper estate and quite small.

The 5 Tourer is a good size for bikes and kids :

benp1

Estate loaded up for a week away – 2 adults and 2 kids plus food, toys and kit in car. Dog (big black lab) and double buggy plus kit in boot. 2 bikes on boot. Double trailer plus lots more kit in roof box

PS – This is an E61 5 series

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Well the lack of foldy seats in this particular lovely looking saloon has put me right off. I’d have to buy rails and a bike rack before I could contemplate getting my mtb anywhere.

I’m familiar with the E90 bimmers as have an e92 coupe currently – it seems a bit daft getting the same “old” model as my “new” car (will also depreciate quicker)

Hmm

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Soooo… Picked it up yesterday. It’s only a 320d (184 bhp and 60mpg is a good compromise) and it’s the “old” style but I can’t complain.. M sport with all the gubbins. . I must thanks the STW masses for helping me realise a saloon is daft. 😀

hagi
    Free Member

Nice 😀

porlus
    Free Member

Looks great that.

Kryton57

Should have got a blue one 😉

curvature
    Free Member

Same colour as my 318d Exclusive Edition.

Those wheels you have are a real pain to keep clean though, have a set on my wife’s 325d M Sport Convertible. I can’t get a brush long enough to reach through on the rear and if you resort to trying to get you hands through it hurts!

What colour interior?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Those wheels you have are a real pain to keep clean though, have a set on my wife’s 325d M Sport Convertible. I can’t get a brush long enough to reach through on the rear and if you resort to trying to get you hands through it hurts!

EZ Detail Brush

mikertroid
    Free Member

Yup estate a good choice. Well done.

I’ve an E91 325i (which makes me a pauper apparently) and it’s forever carting sports kit around.

Just back from a surf with five boards on and regularly put bike(s) on top too.

Absolutely love it.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Well the interior .. I think this is the reason I got a cracking deal on the car. It’s saddle brown leather , apparently a £1500 option but not to everyone’s taste certainly!

Can I not jet wash my wheels or is that as harmful for cars as it is bikes?!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Kryton – tis blue!

bensales
    Free Member

I can’t get a brush long enough to reach through on the rear and if you resort to trying to get you hands through it hurts!

Wheel Woolies

These will get in there.

Kryton57

Blue? Ok. Well anyway it’s very nice. Enjoy!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

The pic doesn’t really show it well but it’s a very light silvery blue. And ta, already thinking about remaps despite the fact it already has a flip load of torque 😀

andyl
    Free Member

Dads got the saloon and the boot is utterly useless.

Kryton57

Be careful with the remaps. I investigated the same for my car (not a BM) and this may not be true for yours, but in general if you put more power through a system – especially a shite load of torque through a gearbox it wasn’t deigned to handle – you could end up with greater wear and tear and a bigger maintenance bill.

Unless there’s an issue with the car don’t bother, just enjoy it as is.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

True Kryton. Thing is there’s a BMW performance upgrade that can be done by a dealer, fully warranted etc!

I’m not sure I could justify £1k cost for 20BHP and half a second off the 0-60 time though!

porlus
    Free Member

Bluefin is a good option. Its a handheld device that installs a map on the ecu. Can be reverted back to standard and vice versa whenever you want. By all accounts its a generic map, so probably not as aggressive as a bespoke one.

curvature
    Free Member

With regards to remaps I’m sure if I would bother again.

I had my wife’s 147 Q2 done several years ago and it turned it into a real animal. It was done properly and set up on a rolling road and didn’t affect the fuel consumption but being a twitchy Alfa it always felt as though it was trying to kill you when you used the power!

My 318d is obviously down on power compared to your 320d but I just enjoy the £30 road tax and low fuel consumption. It will sit all day at 80mph plus so do I really need anything more? I do have the luxury of having the convertible for fun though.

Saddle Brown….I quite like it!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why would you want to remap it? Isn’t 140 mph quick enough for you already, and then of course there is the extra insurance cost. There has not been 1 situation where I haven’t found my 320d quick enough.

Ok it has a second or two of flat spot before the turbo starts to spool up but any diesel has that.

I can see that if it’s fully loaded ie 4 adults, boot full and stuff on the roof then it would suffer, but at that point a remap wouldn’t work, you just need more engine capacity.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

You’re probably right , I don’t need a remap as such more I just like the idea of a bit more powerrrrrr.

Having said that; the car’s in-gear acceleration is really very impressive for a 2L and it feels quicker than it’s supposed 7.5 secs to 60 (fairly meaningless i know)!

Yep the saddle brown interior takes some getting used to but tbh I got a bargain and I think it’s because quite a few people might be put off by it.

Olly
    Free Member

I cant think of any reason to have a saloon. I suppose when Brian from wealth management parks his X6 too close, you can still put your golf clubs in the boot? 😉

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Oh you know Brian?

chojin
    Free Member

I’ve had a 3 series saloon and made the assumption that the rear seats would fold down to give more room.

Mistake.

Make sure if you do go for the saloon, the car is fitted with the *optional* fold down rear seats!!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^ yep my coupe had foldy down seats but like you say a lot of saloons don’t. I ended up getting an estate in the end anyway (see pic up there ^^)

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Cars again – BMW 3 series , would I kick myself for not getting an estate?!’ is closed to new replies.