Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Carrying two helmets for Enduro racing…dangerous?
  • kayak23

Prompted by another thread, I’d considered this trend before.

With many enduro series/races insisting on the wearing of full-face lids, many riders have taken to carrying an open face on their backpack for the climbs/transition stages.

*Photo borrowed from this site*

I can’t help thinking you’re far more likely to sustain injuries with a portable boulder strapped to your back than you are to injure your face.

A few years back at Gethin, I crashed in the rock garden with a full face and goggles and STILL managed to get knocked out and smack my cheekbone with a rock, making a large graze and bump, so you can still get things past a chinguard anyway..

It’s a difficult one for race organisers to legislate for as some tracks are pretty full-on, places where I’d definitely like to be in a full-face but if it means carrying two helmets, I think I’d rather opt for open face, paired with some goggles for a degree of extra protection.

What does the panel think? Should full-face be obligatory?

GHill

It’s hardly a boulder, it’s something that’s designed to break under impact.

kayak23

No, of course it’s not the same as an actual boulder, but I wouldn’t fancy going otb and landing full force with a helmet under my spine, broken or not..

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Madness

Simon

I’ve raced a lot of Enduro in the UK and with the exception of a couple of stages at Innerleithen I’ve always felt comfortable in an XC helmet. I’m not that quick though!
    I’ve not raced this year but previously I’ve taken my helmet off on transitions when it’s been really hot but I understand this isn’t tolerated anymore, I can’t imagine pedalling all day in a full face would be possible and I wouldn’t want to take two helmets. I think helmet choice should be down to rider choice.
    Mandatory full face would put me off racing enduro in the future.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

People wear camelbacks with all kinds of rubbish in them….

gears_suck
    Free Member

I often like to carry a boulder anyway.

kayak23

I often like to carry a boulder anyway.

🙂 Good training I guess..

I’ve taken my helmet off on transitions when it’s been really hot but I understand this isn’t tolerated anymore

As demonstrated by Mr Barel….

jeffskowski
    Free Member

strap the open face to the handle bars?

grum
    Free Member

Mandatory helmet on at all times is daft. I’m guessing its insurance related.

t-p26
    Free Member

Link sections are “usually” fire road/moderate singletrack.
    I use one of these.

Northwind

I don’t like it, an xc helmet isn’t massively solid but they’re bulky, all other things being equal what would you rather land on- a helmet on your pack, or not a helmet? There’s definitely the potential for problems IMO.

The full face is more likely to cause problems if you fall on it, now people say why would you fall on a transition, they’re usually dead simple. To which I agree, and say that’s why you shouldn’t have to wear a helmet on transitions 😉 That rule’s got to discourage fullface wearing.

I don’t think it’s that big a deal but when you’re doing things for safety reasons it’d be good if it’s definitely safer!

scottfitz
    Free Member

I have not done a Gravity Enduro in the UK that I have reckoned needed a Full Face Yet, however not raced at Inners yet. A “full-face be obligatory” Would put me off a bit but I’m sure I would still race. Just flick through the Eastridge pics its about 90% open face.

hels
    Free Member

There has to be a way of giving our loaner XC helmets at the bottom of each timed stage, then transporting them to the next stage finish etc. Discuss:

Northwind

hels – Member

There has to be a way of giving our loaner XC helmets at the bottom of each timed stage, then transporting them to the next stage finish etc. Discuss

Hooks on the chairlift.

(in the meantime, get Moray to spend all day tearing up and down the hill in Rich’s pickup, dream job for him)

DezB
    Free Member

..which would protect your back from any impact by the helmet you’re carrying?

hels
    Free Member

Or a jet-pack !

scottfitz
    Free Member

Hmm what about a fold up open face that can fit in you bag?
    Edit: just googled http://www.fastcodesign.com/1668976/a-fold-up-helmet-designed-for-easy-storage-doesnt-store-easily

ChrisI

The full face is more likely to cause problems if you fall on it, now people say why would you fall on a transition, they’re usually dead simple. To which I agree, and say that’s why you shouldn’t have to wear a helmet on transitions That rule’s got to discourage fullface wearing.

How dare you use common sense sir! But I fully agree, falling on a full face helmet on your back will likely do more damage as they are not designed to crumple on impact which an XC lid would.

That said if I give Enduro racing a go next year (which is the intention), I will likely have 2 lids, XC for transitions and FF for the stages if the course is at a DH site, but if its just in some local woods, I’d probably just go with a XC lid only.

jameso

Met Parachutes for all – the elephant in the Enduro room )

Seriously, why isn’t there a good x-over full face lid for this, or does the rule for a full-face mean a proper full-face, no detachables or compromises? Just interested.

Northwind

Get 5 identical full faces and stash them at the top of each stage, simples.

kayak23

Detachable chinguards would lead you to monstrosities like this (at least I think it’s detachable)

FunkyDunc – Member

I don’t think people wear hydration packs with too much rubbish in them when they are racing. The Evoc one has a built-in back protector too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Get one of these for the transitions?

hels
    Free Member

I guess you could always buy some ultra cheap XC helmets, one for each stage, then abandon them at the top of the stage. Organisers bring them down and sell them for a fiver at the end.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Has anyone actualy tested a dummy falling with a helmet on their back to see if it’s a problem?

It’s not a point putting pressure on your spine, it’s 2 points, about 12″ appart potentialy spreading the load?

I crushed my old XC lid the other day, Ok so 5 years of sweat, sunshine and mionor tumbles may have weakened it, but it crumpled really easily, they’re (my guess) designed to crumple with a weight inside them and an object on the ouside applying pressure. I.e. your head hit’s the ground and the material gets crushed. When empty it just broke into small pieces under by bodyweight as the structure itself is really weak.

Northwind

Think we need to take this to its logical conclusion, I saw a BC commisaire telling someone off for pushing up a fireroad at the innerleithen ukge- only a matter of time til all the marshalls and crew have to wear them too 😉 Open face for standing around, full face for walking down taking down tape.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Carrying two helmets for Enduro racing…dangerous?’ is closed to new replies.