Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Carrying tools / moon on a stick.
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve read at length the various bum bag/saddle bag threads before asking…

I like to carry with me a mini pump(190mm long), one tube, one of those tubeless worm thingy kits (might be the weldtite one), a small Lezyne multotool, and a tiny first aid kit (2 gauze and a bandage).

For short – couple of hours – rides near home I don’t like to take a bag. I bought an Alpkit Fuel Pod, which all the above fits in, however I found it flopped side to side a bit which irked me 🙂

So I could try strapping the Fuel Pod across the bars/stem with a couple of Velcro straps or reusable cable ties, but I don’t think this would be wholly satisfactory. Maybe the same but under the seat, although a dropper will be going on soon.

The pump has a bottle cage mount but I don’t like them either. Only one set of bottle cage mounts so can’t use those bottle tool box things unless I take no water. It doesn’t seem to be enough stuff to merit a merit a bum bag, and I’m not keen on them anyway.

This looks neat – Tallac Kargo

What have I neglected to consider, apart from stop being so fussy, I already know that 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Saddle bag and mount the pump on the frame

thegreatape
    Free Member

With a strap perhaps? It’s only the pump that is tricky, the rest would go in a tiny weeny seat pack.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

with a pump mount that bolts under the bottle cage mounts.

thegreatape
    Free Member

How secure are they though? It’s just a bit of rubber holding it on, at least on the one that came with my pump.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All the ones I have had are held with a velcro strap, and it’s never come off.

rp16v
    Free Member

Topeak large saddle bag will fit loads i have
    tube
    Spare patches
    Large multi tool
    spare links
    tyre levers
    Co2 head and canister
    and my keys

5thElefant
    Free Member

I use a pouch intended for phones that is meant to attach to a rucksack strap with velcro ears. Fits around the seat post. Or you could use your jersey pocket.

wilburt
    Free Member

Jersey pocket?

mickolas
    Free Member

Maybe one of those adaptors that allow a bottle cage to mount off the rear of the saddle rails? Bottle kit on saddle, water in it’s usual place.

thegreatape
    Free Member

No pockets on my jerseys.

thegreatape
    Free Member

mickolas – Member

Maybe one of those adaptors that allow a bottle cage to mount off the rear of the saddle rails

Hadn’t thought of that, I’ll have a look

njee20
    Free Member

Mt zoom handy strap will hold all of that. Under TT, seatpost, stem. Wherever.

Or… Pockets?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Not lost any of my frame mounted pumps.

j450n
    Free Member

Mini top peak saddle bag caries all essentials, ie crank bros multi tool, scabs, chain tool, spoke key, food.

Lezyne pump goes in camelback with bladder and phone goes in camelback pocket.

Had a bottle bounce out of a cage once, and the pump out of the brackets.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Mt zoom handy strap will hold all of that. Under TT, seatpost, stem. Wherever

Looked at these as they were mentioned on an old thread – possibly by you?

How secure are they when you’re clattering about? They must be half decent or no-one would bother, but it doesn’t look like much!

njee20
    Free Member

Looked at these as they were mentioned on an old thread – possibly by you?

Entirely possible, I like mine!

I permanently have one on the seatpost with a tube and CO2 pump, never had it come loose in any meaningful way, once or twice it’s moved round 90 degrees so I’ve knocked it with my thigh, but nip it up again and she’s reet. A friend suggested under the TT as being a bit more out of the way (tube does get muddy on the seatpost), but not tried it.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I use another water bottle, and mount it on the seatpost tube. So, two bottles, one with tools etc and one with water.

Northwind

I’ve got an ortlieb box, the hard part is finding enough stuff to fill it so that it doesn’t rattle. (lots of haribos, was the answer)

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Have a look at these things. Got a good review on bearbonesbikepacking. Id go with a seat pack though

http://www.freeparable.com/monkiiwedge

thegreatape
    Free Member

Only one set of bottle bosses so can’t get a second cage in.

Like the look of those monki things, but as above.

The pump just fits along the seat tube so might go for one of njee’s strap so and a tiny ortlieb seatpack.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Carrying tools / moon on a stick.’ is closed to new replies.