Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Carrying stuff on the bike – tools/spares etc
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Yesterday i forgot my pack and enjoyed riding with nothing on my back. Itw as fine as i was with lads with tools etc. But if i wanted to do this normally how would i carry spares etc?

I have a 31.6mm seat tube so thinking of stuffing some stuff down that and a nuun plastic tube (wrapped with tape to stop it rattling.

Can’t have a saddle bag as i have a joplin, and only have 1 setf bottle bosses

any other ingenious ideas?

geoffj

Tri bag on the top tube?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I use a saddle bag with a Joplin4 and no probs.

I use a old spesh bad that velcro’s on been using it for 15 years.

I run tubeless so pack a tube/levers/multitool/powerlink

This set up I use for night rides/short routes for longer rides I usually take a pack for more fluid and bits and bobs

goog
    Free Member

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

All sorts of frame bags available if you don’t want a seat pack

Oggles
    Free Member

Jersey pockets.

Edric64
    Free Member

+1 for jersey pockets

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I’ve got my tools stuffed into a Topeak pouch, has a clamp type affair that should fit frame tubing. It doesn’t hold a tube but does fit allen keys, tyre levers, puncture kit & chain tool. Fits in a jersey pocket too, so will take this on road rides and then sling it into Camelbak for MTB rides.

Can’t recall exactly which Topeak it is, bought it from halfords. Might be worth a look at something like that.

druidh
    Free Member

No reason not to use a saddle bag with a Joplin. Try something like the Ortlieb Mudracer – it clamps onto the seatrails.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Checked – only “need” 3-6mm allen keys and a chain tool. Torx25 is never going to be needed or other sized allen keys. Few powerlinks and spare pads, couple of zip ties, sticky string things for tubeless. All fits into/onto a nuun tube, plus a tube and CO2 cartridge – jobs a good un.

edhornby

I wouldn’t do tools in back pocket – if you come off you have sharp and/or metal objects next to your back to land on… how about a bidon with tools in on the seat tube and drink in the down tube ?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

wtf is a bidon?

Cougar

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bidon

Seems it’s a water bottle.

Cougar

(… so probably of no use given the OP only has one bottle mount.)

redthunder
    Free Member

I wish I could strip my pack down 🙁 I will god damn it…

Tomorrow I will crucify the content.

Pump
    Tube
    Repair Kit and Multitool
    Food
    Water in bottle on frame.

jonb
    Free Member

It’s a pretentious way of saying bottle. People make wide necked ones that fit in cages specifically designed for tools (I think Pro do it). Otherwise find a frame mounted bag. Back in the day you used to get them that fitted in the corner of the top tube and seat tube.

jonb
    Free Member
    scaredypants

redthunder – why is there a triple-header dildo in your bag ?
    (clearly the cigars are related)

scaredypants

Otherwise find a frame mounted bag. Back in the day you used to get them that fitted in the corner of the top tube and seat tube.

aldi do one (I have one on my road bike 😳 ) – presumably no use if you’re on a sus frame though ( – might be forced to fit at the front I suppose)

andy_hamgreen

redthunder – do you have porters ?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Topeak pouch, has a clamp type affair that should fit frame tubing.”

A word of warning. My mate Rich enthused about his right up until he lost it – somehow having vibrated off on a long descent. Sadly, walking back up the trail did not reveal it.

markinoxon
    Free Member

Haha, nice one scaredypants and goog! 😆

Keva
    Free Member

tools & spares ?

pump & waterbottle on the bike, patches, tyre levers and a multitool in the pocket.

Kev

namastebuzz
    Free Member

If you ride on more than one bike then mounting stuff on/in the bike doesn’t work.

Redthunder – what are the secateurs for? Do you take cuttings as you ride?

belugabob
    Free Member

Bum bag?
    Not tried it myself, but have seen several riders,wearing them.
    I suspect that this would suit simmer riders better that those with a bit more padding 😉

redthunder
    Free Member

@ALL

I get my man to carry my bag 😉

Secateurs and saw for trail maintenance etc. and chav hunting.

The triple headed dildo is for……Mmmm You know what FC carparks are like at night.

Keva
    Free Member

If you ride on more than one bike then mounting stuff on/in the bike doesn’t work.

that’s a rather odd thing to suggest, I have three bikes and have no problem carrying a water bottle and pump on each of them ’cause all three have a bottle cage and a pump mount.

?

Kev

thesurfbus
    Free Member

What about a Cosmic Shoulder Holder, I think I still have a neon pink one from the late 80’s.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

namastebuzz – Member

I have an ortleib seat pack with mounts for it on two different bikes. £5 as a spare so it clips onto either bike

spacemonkey

+1 for whatever Ortleib waterproof seat bag thingy I have. Didn’t bother using it for years until this spring, and now it’s a permanent fixture. Does the trick of holding all spares/tools without knowing it’s there.

samuri
    Free Member

shirt pockets mostly. I used to carry loads of stuff that I never used, you can easily cut down to emergency stuff. Long rides I’ll fit a saddle bag.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Carrying stuff on the bike – tools/spares etc’ is closed to new replies.