Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Carrying my mountain bike on a motorbike?
  • psychle
    Free Member

How cool is this?? Never seen anything like it before, apologies if it's a commonplace practice 😆

druidh
    Free Member

TJ has given this some consideration over the years, although he was also looking at how to "carry" a tandem. One option was to convert it into a trailer, leaving the rear wheel on the ground, and just tow it.

mboy
    Free Member

AWESOME!

Me and a mate were contemplating fabricating something like that years ago… Problem is a Ducati 748 is hardly the practical bike carrier that that BMW RGS is in the first place!

bassspine
    Free Member

the only other pic I've seen of a bike/bike is also a BMW GS, but with a road bike on the back, I believe it was in the great NW. I wonder if there's a manufacturer up there in the interesting corner of north America.

Spaceman
    Free Member

I met a youth at Innerleithen a few years ago with a mountain bike on the back of a small Yamaha dirt bike, whatever the modern equivalent of a DT is. It was mounted so the bike was hanging vertically back wheel down to the side/behind the rear seat wheels pointing forward, on a homemade mount. If that wasn't impressive enough he claimed he'd ridden from Kent or Essex (down south somewhere anyway) on it. He was a cockney (generic southerner) so I had no reason to doubt him. Respect.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is a chap in the states who has his tandem as a trailer behind his goldwing. Front 20 mm axle fixed to the rear rack, rear wheel on the ground, front wheel bungeed on. No problems apparently.

brakes
    Free Member

I thought about making something so that I could tow my DH bike behind a road bike to get to the station/ trails
    not sure if it would be any quicker than just riding the DH bike though

Northwind

TJ wrote, "There is a chap in the states who has his tandem as a trailer behind his goldwing. Front 20 mm axle fixed to the rear rack, rear wheel on the ground, front wheel bungeed on. No problems apparently."

Shouldn't be, a mate of mine tows his GSXR around behind his Wing in the same way :mrgreen: Things can tow a car with the right kit. Personally I'd sooner have it fully lifted ut I'm sure it'd work well.

One of the senior santa cruz guys has an SV650 with a bike rack, he mentioned it in one of the magazines one time, but there was no pics. Wouldn't be that hard to do.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

somebody in West Yorkshire has/had a set up on a VFR

someone turned up at SSUK08 on a motorbike with bike attached

Scootash
    Free Member

Easy. Just strap it down.

That's a Marin Rocky Ridge with Fox 140mm forks and both wheels off, plus
    camping equipment and stuff for a week.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive seen a rack on a bmw bike but the frame was sideways like on a normal car rack with the wheels fastened to the rack too it looked mad but pretty stable as it flew past me on the motorway 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There used to be a bloke in the States who sold bike bike racks, IIRC. The pic was of a Transalp or similar and he mounted it alongside somhow, using the pillion footpeg….. I think it's gone now.

fontmoss
    Free Member

i think theres a pic of a pink indy fab on the back of a bike, dream set up 😀

therealhoops
    Free Member

Nicolai do a folding Helius which would fit on the back end of a motorbike like that one.

kaiser
    Free Member

this is how to carry a tandem on the back of your bike

Northwind

Without anything clever- just a small renntec rack- I've carried frames often enough, just a case of bungeeing them sticking out the back, like this:

And that'd work fine with other bits attached. And you could stack wheels on top. But it'd start to get a bit unweildy without a better rack, and of course you'll have riding kit to carry too. And there's the downer of what to do with your riding kit when you get there, unless you have accomodation booked, and if you have that then you'll have yet more crap to carry.

So, it gets pretty tricky without putting more effort in. I'd want hard case panniers for my gear and to give a wider base for the bike, and ideally a longer rack than I have. Or one of them big chelsea tractor things 😉

All in all I'm finding it more sensible to learn to drive.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Carrying my mountain bike on a motorbike?’ is closed to new replies.