Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Carrying bikes on Audi A3
  • munkster
    Free Member

A colleague of mine has a “Audi A3 S-line sportback 2015” and she maintains that roof bike racks are the only option for carrying their bikes. Tow bar options is apparently not an option (cost amongst other things) and she also reckons that boot lid racks are not possible either which I find hard to believe. She’s not the tallest so I foresee issues with the roof route.

Anyone got one of these cars and able to offer any advice??

I thought that a Saris Bones (for example) would fit to anything but apparently not! (So she says).

Murray

I’ve got a detachable tow ball and rack. I generally just chuck it in a bag in the back though.

pickle
    Free Member

I have exactly the same car and she’s right, you can’t fit a standard tow bar as the S Line rear bumper sits too low. It also has a rear spoiler thing at the top of the boot so that might get damaged with a boot rack.

Is hers fitted with roof bars?

wallop

I managed with an MX-5 and a Saris Bones for years – hard to imagine it wouldn’t work on an A3. Thinking about it, cheers_drive of this parish got down to the Alps with a pair of bikes on the roof of his A3.

nickc

I thought that a Saris Bones (for example) would fit to anything but apparently not! (So she says).

my ex had one, and our bones rack went on fine

dhrider
    Free Member

I have researched this thoroughly for my Seat Leon which is obviously based on the A3 aswell.

Thule and Saris both listed racks originally buy have since removed them as being compatible as they weren’t happy with the way the clips fitted to the boot lid.

I would say your colleague is correct, no racks officially fit but you would probably bodge one on.

I just use a massive tarp and put the bike inside the car.

prawny

I wouldn’t be surprised on the boot rack thing. We’re looking for ways to carry our 4 bikes over the summer and nowhere will recommend a reasonably priced boot fit rack for a focus. It’s a lease so no towbar and the cost of 3 more Thule racks is off putting but probably the best overall option.

garage-dweller

If you don’t tow then a tow bar for bike racks on modern cars seems to be disproportionately expensive. A good roof set up for four bikes costs the same as a ball mounted tilting rear rack for four and then you can add the tow bar price of a few hundred (especially if you have parking sensors and it can’t just be crimped into the loom).

Boot mounted racks are all very well but the number plate and lights need to be visible or you need a lighting board so you at least need some electrics tinkering with to give a connection to that and then you can’t get in the flipping boot.

After years of a mix of roof and rear mount I’ve given up on the latter partly because of the additional cost of entry and also rear visibility and access. Mind you the car roof is coated in mud….

munkster
    Free Member

All very interesting cheers. Just to re-iterate though… When you’re 5’2″ (like she is) I suspect she may find the roof bar solution quite hard in the long run. She seems to think it’s her only solution, but I just question whether it’s a workable one! I’ll feed back to her, this is really helpful thanks all 🙂

momo

My riding buddy has a 2015 A3 s-line with a detachable towbar, was a factory fit option but can be retro-fitted, you have to buy a new valance with a clip out section for the bumper from the dealers though (was the sam for my mk6 golf GTD) not a cheap option though, budget around £600 fitted and coded including the valance.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bike will go in the back with seats down

prawny
    munkster
    Free Member

Bike will go in the back with seats down

I’m sure, but there’ll be two bikes plus luggage. No dice…

momo

Can be done, just need care with the packing, had 2 bikes and kit in the back of my golf a few times

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m sure, but there’ll be two bikes plus luggage. No dice…

You mean you don’t want to which is fair enough. Two bikes would go in the back with luggage easily.

cookeaa

Just to re-iterate though… When you’re 5’2″ (like she is) I suspect she may find the roof bar solution quite hard in the long run.

Problem Solved for ~£10:

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

We’ve got an 04 A3, saris bones (2bike version) works great.

busta
    Free Member

I was thinking ‘sportback’ meant it was some funky shaped thing, but it seems that’s just Audi speak for family hatchback. You’d easily get 2 bikes and luggage in it with the seats down. Much less hassle than any rack!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@busta thats just their name for the 5dr

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Carrying bikes on Audi A3’ is closed to new replies.