Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • carrying a bike on a motorbike….hear me out please!
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m thinking of a motorbike but would really like to be able to carry a bike on it.

This suggestion has been rubbished previously…but it seems practical to me…by securing thefork to the back of the bike to the back of the motorbike so the back wheel of the bike trails behind like a tag along. the front wheel could be secured to the frame.

Is there any reason this wouldn’t work? If I just did it could I get nicked by the filth? Or could I get some system approved by the relevant authority?

Constructive comments welcome and I suspect a lot of flaming is unavoidable…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is a guy in the states doe it with a tandem with no issues

here the issue will be legal.

barrymeredith
    Free Member

Im sure you could have a side car created, My grandad often told me how people pre war would attach there scrambler bikes and tools to side cars to get to and from events

valleydaddy
    Free Member

sidecar platform with a bike rack on it??

or a trailer like the ones you see pulled by goldwings with the same.

the way you mention is a tad bonkers

Brycey
    Free Member

I didn’t see him but my mate said there was a guy at the Inners Winter Series with his DH on a motorbike.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

here you go Brycey

bike bike by valley daddy, on Flickr

shedfull
    Free Member

I saw a bloke on a BMW GS1150 with a bike across the back, wheels on. It was attached to the top box/rear rack but I don’t remember how. The GS is a tall bike, though, and it needs to be to get the bike high enough to lean it over without the wheels touching down.

br
    Free Member

I remember seeing a guy in a mag with a mtb on the back of a KTM Adventurer.

Don’t see why not, may need an extra numberplate/light for the UK?

clubber
    Free Member

I know of a guy who carries his road.bike to sportives on his touring type motorbike. will try and get some details.

DickBarton

Greg Herbold went through a phase of carting his Miyata about like that…mid 90’s that was.

clubber
    Free Member

good point on herbold. they toured s.America like that iirc.

4ndyB
    Free Member

One of the lads over at retrobike carries his bike around on a scooter IIRC, might be a motorbike, not 100% sure, but it is one or the other!

Can’t remember exactly how he does it though

cynic-al
    Free Member

the way you mention is a tad bonkers

But why?

Junkyard
    Free Member

because you will go quite quickly and it will likely affect your balance/stability. I am not sure how much of an issue this would be but imagine say a puncture.
    I am sure you could do it I am less sure why you would want to do it
    Why not a side car or a trailer?
    or for your crazy plans bike as the base for the side car [attached using epoxy and carbon sheets] and your ego in the side car 😉

toys19
    Free Member

Al, once again, I like your style, its been doen many times just copy what has been done in the link above. I cant actually see a legal issue as long as its secure and deosnt interfere with your no plate, lights etc. And take it easy.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

because you will go quite quickly and it will likely affect your balance/stability. I am not sure how much of an issue this would be but imagine say a puncture.

Roughly translated: I know nothing about this but I’ll offer an opinion based on pure fantasy to try and sound clever.

Never ridden a motorbike have you?

mogrim

I cant actually see a legal issue as long as its secure and deosnt interfere with your no plate, lights etc.

In Spain at least there’s a legal requirement that whatever you carry on the bike can’t overhang the sides by more than 25cm, don’t know if that’s also true in the UK but it’s something I’d certainly look into. If it is a sidecar type trailer would be an option.

Junkyard
    Free Member

not towing a bike as a tag along NO – done that on a cycle and it does have an effect on stability.
    I have had a bike licence for 23 years – though not driven regularly for a while.
    You now going to claim a two wheeled vehicle towing a one wheeled “trailer” has no affect on stability/balance ? As i said it has an effect – is that untrue? as to how much as I said I dont know.
    Perhaps you could put forward an opinion yourself as to how good it would be rather than make false claims about me.
    Seriously why not just say what you think rather than gently attack me? That wont help al now will it.

Edric64
    Free Member

Bloke near us used to turn up at time trials with his bike on a rack with the wheels out its not that wide

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Seriously why not just say what you think rather than gently attack me?

I did. TBH I thought you were on about carrying it on the bike, not towing it though.
    Perhaps you’d like to explain why its any different to carrying a passenger, lots of luggage, or towing a trailer as some bikes do?

Let’s see, what effect is 15kg of bike going to have on the combined weight of around 300kg of bike and rider? Not much. What is going to happen in the event of a puntcure that won’t happen without? Not much.

There’s plenty of people do all sorts of things with bikes you know…..

toys19
    Free Member

Seriously why not just say what you think rather than gently attack me? That wont help al now will it.

Possibly because you have launched an unprovoked attack on Al in a similar way whilst not honestly knowing much about it, offering any actual advice, and generally being an arse? TBH all of Al’s ideas seem to have worked out much better than people expect, you just like to jump on the band wagon and attack when it seems an easy hit.

donsimon
    Free Member

Something like this?

stwChallenge FMC GP Cadetes 020411 106 por kala y simon, en Flickr

joolsburger
    Free Member
    Northwind

One of Santa Cruz’s designers has an SV650 with a bike rack on it.

It wouldn’t be at all hard to do tbh, if you can weld or know someone to weld it up for you. But, it’s still not going tobe all that practical- you don’t just need to carry the bike but also all the assorted Bike Crap, and when you get there you have to do something with all the assorted Motorbike Crap. Helmet, leathers and boots take up a huge amount of space.

Also changing back into the motorbike stuff while sweaty and muddy isn’t a barrel of laughs.

So what you’d want to do is, mount it inline on the back, wheels off. A bit like on that Monster up the page, only a little more vertical to lower the centre of gravity would be a good idea. Mount the wheels up alongside the frame for compactness. And use 2 big (big) panniers. It won’t massively affect the ride- the actual weight isn’t massive, less than a pillion.

There’ll be no legal concerns with this approach as long as it’s safely mounted.

But I have to say, I thought it was a sufficiently hassly idea not to do it even whenI had no car licence. Buying a motorbike with the plan of using it as a load lugger doesn’t seem like a good idea to me. And this is from someone that used to do things like this:

(that’s 10 6-foot loft insulation boards)

grum
    Free Member

Al, once again, I like your style

Yeah there’s something really appealing about someone so desperately seeking attention isn’t there?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It wouldn’t be at all hard to do tbh, if you can weld or know someone to weld it up for you. But, it’s still not going tobe all that practical- you don’t just need to carry the bike but also all the assorted Bike Crap, and when you get there you have to do something with all the assorted Motorbike Crap. Helmet, leathers and boots take up a huge amount of space.

True. Panniers would do it though. We use a coil lock through the motorbike then through our lids, and the arms of our jackets though, it’s all you need. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

As a tag-along trailer, I’d be concerned over the longevity of your wheels. If you’ve ever seen an un-damped, empty trailer behind a car at any speed, you’ll see that it bounces around rather a lot.

Northwind

PeterPoddy – Member

We use a coil lick through the motorbike then through our lids, and the arms of our jackets though, it’s all you need.

Til it rains 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

PP fair point it is abut unclear and I actually meant a puncture using the bike as a tag along cycle if you are doing say 50 [ 120 in your case -another joke- ]. I am not saying it cant be done just that it will be less stable than not towing. Most mbike trailers have two wheels and base rather than one for stability. Is there a one wheeled one used by Mbike like say a tag along or a bob trailer? I am not aware of one.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just use a trailer like hundreds of other do. Seperate you push bike from the tarmac. As the meercat says….

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    I know of a guy who carries his road.bike to sportives on his touring type motorbike. will try and get some details.

clubber’s referring to a mate of mine in London. He has no car, his only transport is an ageing (late 80’s)BMW (R80 possibly?). As clubber says he has transported road bikes to sportives on the back of the Beeemer for years, including down to the Alps for La Marmotte.

He has hard panniers, takes the wheels off the road bike and bungees the frame to the pillion seat / panniers with the wheels on top. The bike is no wider / longer than the panniers so really no issues at all, very slight overhang at the back (over the rear light / number plate) but that’s it. He’s never been tugged or had any problems, other than once one of the tyres was (unbeknownst to him) rubbing on something and ended up blowing.

So it’s definitely do-able, though I reckon you need good size hard panniers to do it safely.

druidh
    Free Member

Al – I assume you’d be looking at something bigger than the 125cc M/cycles you were asking about previously?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Til it rains

Bin liner. 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

The bloke who is the brother of the bloke who is a Prof at Lancaster and whose name I dont rememebr used to appear at trailquests with a bike on the back of his bike.

rp16v
    Free Member

im being buged by this atm as im currentley on a scooter but doing test for a big bike but still suffer the problem of bike carridge if someone can give a 100% yes/no as to wether this is legal in uk and is there any legal limits to the fitment of rack.

edit- just watched the 2×2 vid and i have to say id be happy having that on the back of the bike seems nice and secure and well thought out

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I haven’t been to the Birthday Rides for a while but there used to be a guy (I think from Yorkshire) who put a different rear wheel in his bike and towed it, using a bit of a Heath Robinson attachment, to the event behind a Harley. No doubt a motorcycle could be used to do the same thing.

I wouldn’t like to think of the effect on the cycle of all the bouncing about at funny angles even though it would not affect the motorcycle.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks most…I’ve not ridden at 60mph much, but suspect that 15 kg of tag along bike won’t affect the stability of 200kg of motorbike and rider. I get the point about luggage and storage.

I can see it would skip about quite a bit, still not convinced that would be an issue.

Seems like the legals need researching.

OH and druid 125 for time being.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘carrying a bike on a motorbike….hear me out please!’ is closed to new replies.