Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Carry-on luggage recommendations
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

Obvs. I’ll be hitting up the googlyweb as well, but does anyone have cabin type baggage they think is particularly good?

Particularly well priced as well would be ideal 🙂

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ve been using a holdall recently, lighter and more flexible than a bag with wheels and frame.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I use a Kriega pannier bag.
    Expandable with a 10yr guarantee.
    Decathlon have some crackers too

drlex
    Free Member

I was given a Gate 8[/URL] bag last year that has been excellent.
    There’s a 20% off code knocking around, but it’s still not cheap.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I asked the same question a few weeks ago.

Got recommended one of these.

Cabin Max Backpack

It’s not that heavily made, which is reflected in the price but the design is pretty good. Not sure what the long term durability is going to be like though?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Timbuk2 Large courier and a checked bag in the hold. 🙂

If you must join the other gate lice with their little shopping trollies though…..

Samsonite
    Osprey
    Tumi

karnali
    Free Member

IKEA £15

km79
    Free Member

Osprey Farpoint 40 for me, can be used as a backpack, shoulder bag or with a carry handle. Holds a lot more than you’d think and is very well made.

xora

35L rucksack, is just the right size for ryanair luggage checks and unlike wheely cases airlines never seem to force you to check rucksacks!

benp1

Lowe Alpine TT Carry On 40. Used it for years, I think there’s a newer one available now

Used for personal and business trips, cattle and business class, anything up to 10 days (as that was the max length trip I did, could go more)

Could take work and personal clothes, plus laptop and electronics. Big fan, just don’t travel anymore!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Love it when you ask for a carry-on recommendation and someone tells you to carry a man-bag and check your luggage into the hold – though sometimes a larger bag is needed for one’s orthopaedic shoes to be fair. 🙂

Also have the LoweAlpine jobbie, after a recommendation on here I think (I also have the TT which is just the AT with wheels).

Nice piece of kit for the money. Good storage options in front pocket and a netted zipped bit inside for dirty smalls. And nicely branded so that others may think you’re the outdoor type when outside of the airport. And not as nerdy as Osprey.

curto80
    Free Member

Listen to benp1, for he is wise.

I got two of them 7 years ago and they are still going strong. Awesome bit of kit.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀 @DD

Suppose you don’t need a big bag when your clothes come from Mothercare.

😉

Carry on changes if you’re putting stuff in the hold. I’d agree that rucksacks tend to get less scrutiny than shopping trollies. Also tend to fit better in to crammed overheads as they’re usually softer.

spectraken
    Free Member

I use the Cabin Max mentioned above. If you’re travelling regularly I’d probably look elsewhere, but it’s cheap and light otherwise.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Suppose you don’t need a big bag when your clothes come from Mothercare.

Whereas, Jacamo shoppers need hold luggage.

DrJ

North Face “Surge” carries lots – think its 38L – but looks like a smaller backpack hence no hassle from gate droids.

durhambiker
    Free Member

+1 for the Osprey Farpoint 40. I bought one last year after seeing it recommended in another thread on here and it’s been great. Rugged, holds a lot of stuff securely and the backpack straps are comfortable and don’t seem like they were added as an afterthought. Just got back from a long weekend in Malaga and I spent all of Friday afternoon walking around Malaga with it and it wasn’t annoying at all. And it comfortably carried my cycling shoes and clothing, normal clothes, and a load of supplies for the friend I was visiting over there.

gonefishin
    Free Member

What Airline are you likely to be flying with regularly? Different Airlines have different size limits so you really need to check that out. My missus is flying weekly with KLM so we had to do some checking to make sure the bag we bought her would be allowed on board.

mattyfez

Random back pack, think its about 35L.

aP
    Free Member

T-Line courier backpack.

bakey

Osprey Ozone 36 Convertible – used for flying every week…and held enough kit for 4 days’ skiing last week.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Back it up, what you going to be carrying? For me it’s laptop and work stuff so that is a priority. If it was as much as you can to avoid hold it would be different. Got a nice samsonite wheeled bag on FF points recently that is good for a day or so.

seadog101

Eastpak tranverz. I use the XS, but S is good for most airlines.
    Can be found cheaper than this..
    Eastpak tranverz

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Back it up, what you going to be carrying?

Yep.

Overnighter without a suit, my timbuk2 is ideal. Couple of nights, Samsonite as carry on. Longer trip is Timbuk2 with me, carrying essentials only, and Osprey Shuttle in the hold.

For weekend flights, I usually put my laptop in the hold as well.

brassneck

I got a Timberland trolley from TK Maxx for buttons, does me for 3-5 days with a bit of care, including laptop and bits. Good big front pockets for all the stuff in your pockets when you get to security. I was worried when I got it that it was a bit too big, but never had a problem.

poolman
    Free Member

35l rucsac, never been checked. As said above for some reason they only check hard cases. Monarch weigh it though so there must be a weight limit on monarch, the other cheapies dont

geoffj

Decathlon do a couple but you should really check out carryollogy.com

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

That Cabin Max looks like a good suggestion and Decathlon is a good shout.

TK Maxx has some good luggage choices if you’re lucky.
    Got my cabin bag from there – High Sierra Tehachapi. 41l capacity and is within most airlines max size dimensions.

Seems very robust and has the backpack straps also which are a must for me.
    Loads of compartments.

High Sierra is owned by Samsonite I believe.

AD

Another vote for the Osprey Ozone 36 – brilliant bit of kit and very light for a wheeled suitcase.

chewkw
    Free Member

I have used Tatonka Barrel travel bag flight (50 x 36 x 20 cm, 35L) for all my overseas traveling.

Simple, strong and light like this.

Or you can get the more expensive version (think this might be an updated version) like this.

Tatonka Flight Rucksack

Both no wheels.

andos

I bought an Eastpak small two wheel carry-on bag in 2010 and have since travelled weekly with it. Its regularly stuffed to bursting point, strapped to the front of my bike and jammed in overhead locker but it has proven to be indestructible.

Is has outlasted samsonite and other brands by years.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve always used 28-32L rucksacks, for short and long-haul. I’ve been using a Vaude 28 for years, now have an Osprey 32L.

Anything with wheels should not be allowed in the cabin.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anything with wheels should not be allowed in the cabin.

Good to see lots of love for Osprey here as well. Despite being “nerdy”. 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

I bought a Dakine departure, also looked at the patagonia MLC.
    The famine is ideal, storable backpack straps, compartments and a pocket at the from for a book or iPad. Has the straps to tighten it up, so it’s only as big as it needs to be.
    Makes it all pretty easy.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Anything with wheels should not be allowed in the cabin

Agreed, large cabin bags should only be for the fit and strong

Xylene
    Free Member
    -m-
    Free Member

For weekend flights, I usually put my laptop in the hold as well.

Even if we politely overlook the bit about putting stuff in the hold, surely putting your laptop in is a sign of madness 😉

For clothes I’m another holdall fan. The medium size ‘duffle’ bags (like the North Face ones, but obviously choose your favourite brand/the cheapest) are the right kind of size for cabin baggage, easily squashable, and packed right will swallow a week’s worth of clothes without too much trouble. One of the big advantages is that your clothes stay in the same orientation that you pack them, so emerge with fewer creases.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Lomo drybag
    Soft so squeezes into shape and light so isn’t contributing much to your allowed weight. And bright yellow so you see it hitting the reclaim belt

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Much as I’m loath to admit it, if you’re travelling with cabin baggage only then regulation ‘carry on’ wheelie suitcase gives you maximum space and minimum effort. They fit easily into the overhead lockers and are designed for wheeling over miles of tiled airport corridor.

We’ve got a couple of TravelPro (company set up by the pilot who invented wheelie bags) that are designed specifically to Ryanair dimensions but have an expansion to be bigger for use with other airlines. They’re lightweight rather than tough (Ryanair used to be strict about in cabin bag weight) but have lasted well – cabin baggage doesn’t take anything like the beating hold luggage does.

However, Ryanair dropped the weight rules (if you can lift it you’re OK I think) and although the bag sizing cages are still there it’s years since I’ve been at a desk where they were making people check their bag size and charging people to put oversize bags in the hold.

A mate who flys every week swears by Briggs and Riley – expensive (but you can find them discounted) and a lifetime warranty that they honour. Something on one of his bags broke and they sent him the new equivalent.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Carry-on luggage recommendations’ is closed to new replies.