Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Carron Valley trails
  • BoardinBob

they were basically nuked by one individual.

RT?

HeatherBash
    Free Member

No

BoardinBob

Ah. Having read through all the stuff on the website, they seemed like a major factor!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Ah. Having read through all the stuff on the website, they seemed like a major factor!<

Well unoubtedly, but when very senior people pull rank and subordinates make that decision to fall into line the principles and morality can fly out the window. I’m sure you get the picture…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I cant personally see anything on the course that is >blue, but I suspect this is due to the restrictions put on it. It’s a shame this has gone so pear shaped – is there ANY chance of revival?

AlasdairMc

Comrie Croft is a superb wee trail and could do with more custom tho comparing it with CV is like comparing apples and eggs

I agree completely, it was just that I happened to be riding both in one day. I thought Comrie would be a lot worse than it was, and I thought the opposite would be true of CV.

While I agree that a lot has gone into CV, it just seems a shame to abandon it as is and not further develop it. The existing blue is just not enough to attract me back there in a hurry and it’s unfortunate that development has ground to a halt.

However, were I to be taking a newbie around a trail, I may consider visiting again as it’s very easy and it was dead when I was there.

DickBarton

Have a read of all the info on the website…what is there was a struggle to get and wasn’t plucked from the air…the requirement to prove a need was rather heavy and it had to try to do everything for everyone – which it doesn’t do. What it does do is prove that the need is there and should be developed further – to allow multiple trails to be built and allow multiple gradings of trails…the need has been proven but due to some narrow-minded opinions of some people, this has been killed.

There may be a chance to resurrect what it there, but the drive has gone so no-one is going to go knocking on the doors to get it going again…and after reading through the documentation on the site, it would have to be a very thick-skinned and dedicated person to overturn all the obstacles to get it going again.

It’s been killed off and is probably not going to ever be sorted…the start of the round-the-reservoir trail was meant to be completed at the beginning of 2008 – then we were told it would be done by Easter…then Summer…then before the New Year…so far nothing has been done to the trail line – no machinery, no scoping (other than the stuff done by CVDG) – so it is blatantly clear that although they claim things are happening, nothing is actually happening.

It’s a real shame as most folk think what is there just now is it…nothing else to be done, truth it, what is there was simply a starting block…but we were never given the chance to build on it (even though we had approval from Senior Management)…

meikle_partans
    Free Member

from that pdf document:

The fact that you could, by feathering the brakes, roll the features does not mitigate
    the consequences of the inexperienced hitting them at speed

what? boobloodyhoo. so for something to be acceptable as any easy graded trail it has to be possible for an idiot to plop down it without touching the brakes once and survive every time??? no wonder it is so hard to build a quality trail centre. ridiculous.

the very narrow exit is far too precise for average riders

well they better pay attention or ride it slow till they can do it.

zerolight
    Free Member

Are these trails still OK and being maintained? Worth a visit from Glasgow?

StirlingCrispin

There’s a real hill right next to CV – Meickle Binn.
    Go and explore – it’s an excellent couple of hours.

Or follow the windfarm track up from Todholes. Puts you into the hills and gives you great views. In addition, standing under a turbine is an incredible experience.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwrCf3h6jOw[/video]

bigG
    Free Member

Yes the trails are still there, yes still fun for a quick blast..

Couple of recent (wobbly) vids here…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSspsftgfOQ[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrr-dIN1K5I[/video]

Brake-neck
    Free Member

I’m 20 mins from CV and pop up a couple of times a week after work. Although the recent trail resurfacing may have been needed its kinda taken the fun out of the runway and eas dubh. What they did to kelpies is a bloody disgrace. Its a good wee centre though for fitness training, you should manage a couple of circuits in 1hr 20 mins without trying too hard.
    The one problem with CV is there is no flow to the trails. Ironically I think they may have made the runway more dangerous than when it was all broken up as now you have to hit warp speed all the way down to enjoy it meaning an off will be a biggie.

bigG
    Free Member

Brake neck, I agree that they’ve killed the trails in places, and I’ve had my share of big offs on the new fun park!

I live in Denny and it’s a nice ride up to CV on the cross bike, spin round the trails and home. I wouldn’t have tried the trails on the CX bike before the upgrades.

It is rather good having it on the doorstep for night rides.

craig1975
    Free Member

tis sad that kelpies is not it’s former self… but I’m sure it will return after a year or two of the winters wee get..

whilst i liked the old run way i do much prefer the new one.. love all the step downs and the jumps are much fun

i like going for a couple of spins around CV now and then.. but not been much this year due to the horible drive from Glasgow these days

Johnbot
    Free Member

Yeah the roadworks and the 40limit for miles is a bit of a pain but I went on an outing there a few weeks ago and had a much better time than I thought I would going by what is said about it on here. Nice to get some speed on the runway now

seosamh77
    Free Member

Couple of recent (wobbly) vids here…

jebus what the hell did they do to kelpies, last time i was up i cycled from croy and didn’t bother heading up to eas dubh i was knackered and had to cycle back(the tak ma doon is a killer!), looks like cv is completely blue now, took me a couple of goes to work up the bottle to head down the old kelpies as well. the new run way is better mind, i’m not a fan of table tops and much prefer the kerb style jumps the changed them to.

as for cv, it’s a decent wee blue run and imo it’s a total shame that it’s not getting developed any further into decent length red trails.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Carron Valley trails’ is closed to new replies.