Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Carron Valley
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Excellently snowy, so excellently snowy it was completely unridable! Nearly 1.5 feet of snow at the top of the first bit of ascent! Gave up and walked back to the car.

BoardinBob

Looking at the southside of the campsies on Saturday afternoon was enough to convince me the other side would be just as bad!

2tyred

Did you ride (or drive) over the Tak to get there? If so, is it clear?

DickBarton

Denny road will be clear for most of it…not much longer to get to from Kilsyth…

pixelmix
    Free Member

I originally planned to ride Carron Valley today to christen the new singlespeed, but since the Pentlands are completely white, I reckoned it would probably still be pretty snowy too. Glad I didn't bother now – wouldn't have been worth getting up at 7am for! Bit disappointed that I have a day off work, and could only manage a short ride around town though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not sure about Tak route, I took crow road route over (quicker for me and fewer people tanking it at full belt on a single-track road), which is open but for the odd drift and narrowed due to the results of the ploughing being 6ft plus at the side of the roads. It's definitely a no-goer though, I met a couple of guys up there who'd attempted and given up; I thought I'd give it a go out of bravado and having driven for over an hour picking a mate up and going back etc and we just couldn't get up it, it's not hard-packed at all, its soft and 1ft+, so you just sink up to your hubs on every attempt to get going. Couldn't even ride downhill, and pushing downhill the front wheel was burying itself and going nowhere lol.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

I was quite impressed to notice that there's been a small avalanche on the south side of the Campsies over the weekend…

coffeeking
    Free Member

haha, that's pretty impressive! There were some fairly large overhangs about when I drove through, so I suppose it's not so surprising on second thoughts!

geoffj

It's lovely out there at the moment. Campsies, Ochills, Pentlands all look fantastic. Pity I'm working 🙁

2tyred

Excellent picture – my son looked out of his bedroom window at that this morning and asked me why the snow had missed a bit!

Over the course of this winter I've had a couple of thwarted climbs of the Tak from the Kilsyth side on the road bike already – guess the evening ride I had in mind for later this week might need re-routed.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

We took the dog for a walk round at the Whangie on Thursday last week. Took a quick snap with the phone camera as it was blowing a hoolie…

my wife pointed up above me and, when I looked up, there was an impressive cornice hanging on the crag, with a gap above me where it had already let go. I looked down at my feet and realised I was standing on about 4 feet of snow debris from the cornice and the crag. Needless to say, we didn't hang around to see if the rest was coming down anytime soon.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Carron Valley’ is closed to new replies.