Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Carrera Subway – any experiences?
  • MoreCashThanDash

I'm looking for a cheap bike as a tow path commuter, and there seem to be a lot of these around on ebay at the moment, some fetching not far short of the RRP.

What are peoples experiences of them – would it be OK for a 25 mile round trip, or would it prove too slow and/or unreliable?

tron
    Free Member

A mate's sister has just bought one. Looks like reasonable level kit, but I'm not a huge SRAM shifter fan. The nexus ones would be my choice.

z1ppy

I reckon there ace, happily recommend them, only negative being the gearing can be bit low for commuting on the road.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've got a Subway One, one of the newer ones withouth the adjustable stem and crap suspension seatpost.

It's a solid little bike, decently specced (Only 7sp, but it's a commuter, I don't care) for the money, easily tough enough for offroad and buping up and down kerbs. Cheaper SRAM gearing seems better than cheap Shimano stuff to me.
    The riding position is more sporty than you would expect, and it handles well.
    It's a bit heavy but I've got mudguards, rack and panniers on it too, so no real bother, and I doubt it'll ever break.
    The wheels seem tough and the tyres are good too. Tektro Vees stop well enough, but new pads improved them when the OE ones wore out.

The biggest bad point was that it was woefully undergeared as stock, I spent most of my first ride in top gear! But a new cassette, chainset, BB and front mech cost under £50 and that sorted it out nicely.

At the time they were £280, but on offer at £220, plus I got an extra 10% off for reserving online, so I paid £198 and got a £20 accessories voucher as well, which I spent on the mudguards

Everything still works fine, and nothing has worn out in the 800 miles I've done so far (Although I always add more grease to the hubs and pedals from new on all my bikes)

So, cheap, solid, bland (less likely to be nicked) but decent and relaible.

I'm very happy. 🙂

organic355
    Free Member

they make sandwiches now? Make mine a meatball marinara.

brassneck

Depends on your trip – if it's mainly big roads I'd go with a proper road bike.. but if it's urban and/or mixed onroad/offroad it'd be a decent choice. Pretty much how I set up my old kona frame for commuting, 1.5 conti xc pumped up hard and it'll tackle whatever route you fancy.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Depends on your trip – if it's mainly big roads I'd go with a proper road bike.. but if it's urban and/or mixed onroad/offroad it'd be a decent choice

Yeah, I'd go along with that. My Roadrat with slicks wasn't up to the riding I was doing, the Subway is slower on the road (Not much though) but more suited to kerbs and gravel tracks etc

This is mine, parked outside right now 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks for that guys – the aim will be to minimise roads, so I'd be looking at 25 miles a day with the best part of 20 miles on towpaths or Sustrans tracks.

I watched a Nexus geared one go for £105 last week on ebay, was soooo close to having a go at it!

Houns

Newer Subway 8's are Alfines

carlphillips
    Free Member

my neighbour has had one for commute duties for the last few years 8mile each way and its never missed a beat, on the strength of that my mrs bought one for her commute last year and its really nice, would recommend.

wors

I got one for commuting through winter to save the road bike gettiing shitted up. I now use it most of the time. Front mech seizeed but that is down to salt and lack of cleaning!

MrFarrellsSodasuite
    Free Member

I had a Subway 8 (nexus). It was a bit heavy, but worth every penny of the 180 I paid for it in a sale at Halfords. It was used for London commuting, toepaths, gravel etc. They are nickable though, I can confirm that… 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

Sorry, should have asked before – any sizing advice please?

(Though I've just seen the Kona Dew down to £300 at Evans and that looks an interesting proposition as well…..)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Carrera Subway – any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.