Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Carrera Fury stem size query
  • mxgaza33
    Free Member

Hi,

Apologies if stem and handlebar size questions come up alot, however I’m making a few adjustments to my Carrera Fury and looking for some advice.

I’ve had the bike for a while and as I’ve progressed and started to ride faster and more technical trails I feel I’m being held back by the handling of the bike feeling twitchy which doesn’t fill me with confidence and the result is me holding on for grim death.

As I can’t (easily) change the head angle I decided to try out some longer bars so I fitted some 750mm bars instead of the 680mm that were on there. This is quite a big jump but I wanted there to be a definite difference to decide if it was good or bad. This feels much better however now when I’m in my normal cycling position my arms are stretched out which isn’t very comfortable. So my question is if I get a shorter stem to bring the bars a bit closer (current stem is 80mm) will this undo the positive difference that the wider bars have made?

Thanks

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

They should sort of work together.

It will make the handling a bit faster, but shouldn’t be an issue.

I would suggest you get ahold of a really cheap one, clearance/second-hand, and try it out.

Where are you based? Maybe someone can lend one?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Which Fury is it? I quite liked mine.

mxgaza33
    Free Member

I’m half an hour outside of Glasgow, will start shopping around for a relatively cheap one to try out. Would 50mm be considered a big change or is that a good place to start?

Its a 2012 Fury, this one – http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/bikes-and-gear/bikes/mountain/1324379999275-ianpyn4ren3m-700-80.jpg

It’s been a good bike but now that I’ve had it a while I’m trying to make some improvements, next on the list is a look at the forks as I did the black route at Glentress recently and they were shaking my hands to pieces!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

A guess:

50mm is probably a good length.

I’m in Bradford, so if you happen to pass-by with the bike while you still want to borrow one, let me know. Email in profile.

Good luck.

skids
    Free Member

The stem on that Fury is 70mm and has a serious rise to it, I had a 55mm Pro stem on the same bike, I think a shorter stem will help, but you gotta remember the bars will also be noticeably lower with a new stem

mxgaza33
    Free Member

Good point about the height, hadn’t really thought about that. I’ve ordered a 50mm stem with a 6 degree rise anyway to try it out and see how it feels!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Carrera Fury stem size query’ is closed to new replies.