Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Carradice Saddle bags for touring and the occasional off-road bikepacking trip??
  • gsm7
    Free Member

I was thinking about getting a carradice saddle bag. I love that they are made in Lancashire and seem to be of very good quality. I imagine they will last a lifetime if treated right.

Does anyone have any experience with one? For touring/bikepacking?
    Which one would you recommend?

Please share!

gsm7
    Free Member

Thanks!

iainc

I’ve got one of the SQR Slim ones, which I’ve used on a couple of overnighters. Stable, secure and good volume. Only criticism is it does keep the weight pretty high up compared to panniers

StirlingCrispin

I’ve used a Camper Longflap just about every day for 16 years. Starting to look a wee bit tired on one of the pockets now.

I’ve used mine for overnights and hostelling trips. The weight is high, but right next to your normal centre of gravity so the impact on bike handling is minimal. I use a SQR block and use a bungee to stop sway.

gsm7
    Free Member

Is there a solution to get around having an SQR?
    Will the bag just hang? (Thinking the Nelson is big enough for my needs at 18litres or so…)

But perhaps I should wait for these…?
    http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=17042&category_id=324

Stoner
    Free Member

the sqr works very well.

Its better than the “Bagman” carrier

tha lpkit looks tidy, but the carradice super c has useful side pockets for easy access tools etc and I reckon is much tougher and rigid for strapping other stuff to. We used to lash a dry bag to the top to carry the day’s food in for example.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve got a Barley for my Vaya.
    Coupled with a Bagman q/r it’s spotty dog IMHO.

iainc

SQR Slim in action 🙂

Atomizer

Cass Gilbert http://www.whileoutriding.com has used a Carradice bag for various trips. Review here:

Carradice Supper C Saddlebag – Back to Front review

iainc

that Alpkit looks ace

gsm7
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies! Will check out the various links and suggestions.

tinribz
    Free Member

Another long-flap camper,

If your gonna go Carradice you need support and for frack’s sake get the quick release one, yes it all adds to the cost but it means 10 seconds to attatch or take-off and no swaying. Last C2C one guy spent 20 mins each morning trying to attach his with string and elastic, and it would still come off every 5 miles.

Lighter than panniers, the weight is high but that only seems to be an issue if your pushing the bike.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I’e been using a Carradice Nelson for commuting for a few years now ( its also been using on a bike packing trip over the summer ) I can honestly say its one of the best things I’ve bought for my bike(s)

Make sure you go for the SQR Rack mount ,it allows you to remove/attach the saddlebag in seconds.

Edric64
    Free Member

I bought a post mounted rack from Lidl the rack part is on a quick release and my Carradice bag is on that .So I can unclip it and take it with me

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tinribz i agree although my work around was stick a bag inside – leave bag on bike take inside bag to room/tent

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

If you’re local, it’s always worth dropping in at the factory in Nelson, as they probably still sell the seconds at decent reductions.

A couple of years ago I bought panniers for a C2C trip from the factory shop. They knocked 50% off for a bit or reflective patch being on upside down 😀

iainc

Question for stoner and others with the sqr block. If I wanted to use a super c style bag rather than the sqr slim what bits would I need to attach it to the block which I got with the slim ?

Have been thinking about panniers as don’t really like sqr slim, but fancy the super c at 23 litres

Stoner
    Free Member

If you have the block on your post already, then you just need the SQR frame which fits to the leather buckle straps on the wooden dowel in the back of the Super C bag.

http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=accessories

£15 in the accessoris section

marvincooper

I have a SQR Tour I’ve been meaning to put on the classifieds. Never even taken it out of the packaging (I bought two by mistake….)

iainc

Cheers stoner

iainc

Stoner, another question if I may. I don’t have a lot of seat post out – see my pic earlier with the sqr slim on the Jake. Do you think a super c on an sqr would have more or less clearance over back wheel ?

Many thanks

paul4stones

Like this. Good, heavier than a seat pack but more robust. I find it makes the handling strange on a pompino but fine on a mtb, especially with a bar bag. Stitching on the flap is coming apart on mine though.

[/url] On the train by paul4stones, on Flickr[/img]

Stoner
    Free Member

iainc
    you should be fine. The frame really does lift the bag up and back quite a bit.

Mrs S is no shortarse, but she ran her post pretty low on a small pomp
    had an inch or so of clearance over the rear tyre. No problem.

midlifecrashes

Nelson, unsupported, but if I’m loading up properly the rack and panniers go back on. Still, I must get round to getting a Bagman, might put it on the Christmas list.

DrNickRiviera
    Free Member

Marvin, how much would you be looking to sell the sqr for?

Chris

iainc

iainc
    you should be fine. The frame really does lift the bag up and back quite a bit

cheers for that

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Carradice Saddle bags for touring and the occasional off-road bikepacking trip??’ is closed to new replies.