Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Carpets – anyone know anything about them???
  • chrissyboy
    Free Member

Okay. We’re Northern cheapskates, so have never bought proper carpets before – just roll ends etc. We moved house about 8 years ago and our new cream carpet that we bought for the lounge diner when we moved in (roll end, natch) is now absolutely gopping – we had a baby 4 years ago that we didn’t plan for at the time.

So, we need a new one – and would like to do the hall, stairs & landing at the same time in the same carpet. Now up in the North East we’ve got Franks’ Factory Flooring (catchphrase – ‘I love carpets, me!’) and they’ve quoted £1,500 fitted for 50m sq including underlay, grippers, joiny bits ‘n that. It’s an 80% wool twist pile carpet.

Is that a good price? I work for a car manufacturer so am used to car dealers having a minimum of a £1,500 profit in a 7k used car, so is there any wriggle room? Already tried all my best moves to chip him down etc, to pretty much no avail (came down £80…).

Thanks in advance,

C.

anokdale
    Free Member

I would hire a carpet cleaner first and try giving them a good once over to get some more life out of them especially as the little one is only four and you have many more spillages to go yet.

Not sure on prices of carpets as the long haired General sorts that lot out.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Good thinking, but we’ve got premature baldness too – couple of threadbare bits in front of the sofas.

anokdale
    Free Member

I am a Northern cheapskate as well, do some fegshwu and shift the chairs around.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Doh, unfortunatly even using the full powers of Feng the lounge won’t work any other way…

alexxx
    Free Member

hehehe this threads funny! not a clue on carpet prices, why not do some net quotes and ask around? I’m a heated wooden floor kinda guy myself

flatfish
    Free Member

80% wool is too much for a hall/landing/stair, it’ll wear out too quickly.
    Anywhere in the house that has a high footfall will wear out quicker than, say, a bedroom. so use something like 50/50 for hall/landing/stair areas.
    Cant help you with prices as i haven’t fitted any carpets for nearly 10 years now.

I live near Kidderminster “The carpet town”. We’ve got a museum and everything. http://www.carpetmuseum.co.uk/
    I know nothing about them myself though, I’m a bus mechanic.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Graham, that museum looks rubbish!

anokdale
    Free Member

I am off to argue with TJ 😉

jonb
    Free Member

Think we paid about £40 sq meter for a synthetic, underlay and fitting.

We were advised that wool wears better but stains more easily. Synthetics don’t wear as well and don’t feel/look as nice, the pile flattens over time (who feels carpets normally though?) At least that’s what I think.

Ours was one of the most expensive synthetics in the shop and we picked the most expensive underlay.

I’m in the northeast and we went to PJ Carpets at Kingston park. Very helpful and reasonably priced. There was Karpet mills in the same place.

Graham, that museum looks rubbish!

Ooh, that’s a bit of a harsh judgement isn’t it ?

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Cheers Jonb, that’s kinda what I was thinking. We’re going for a biscuity coloured job (more hobnob than bourbon) as it’s a bit more practical than the cream that we have at the mo. £40 a sq metre is a fair bit more than we’ve been quoted, so I guess we’re in the right ballpark.

I mean, £1,500, you could buy a bike for that.

stevie750

I got my underlay, grippers and metalwork from these guys, it’s much cheaper than carpet shops underlay
    My carpet cost £14 a sq metre and is good. Did not have any problem about me supplying my own underlay
    Fitting was a flat £50

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Graham – I’ve changed my mind since you’ve posted that picture. Your museum doesn’t just look rubbish….

slackman99
    Free Member

One tip, buy and lay the underlay yourself. It’s proper easy (sharp knife, some spray adhesive and duct tape is all you need) and will save you a load of money.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Ooh, that’s a bit of a harsh judgement isn’t it ?

Graham, you look older than I’d imagined. And your piano needs a fixing…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Carpets – anyone know anything about them???’ is closed to new replies.