• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Carpet cleaning – DIY (Hire) DIY (Buy) or Get a Pro?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Our carpets are only 3 years old but are already getting quite dirty from the combination of 1 dog and 1 toddler, and the associated sick, wee and general use of both.

So our nice wool carpets could do with a proper clean, not just a scrub. What is the easiest solution to it ie hire, buy or get some one in?

Also when I have done it myself in the past (hiring equipment) the carpets have appeared to get dirty more quickly 2nd time round. Is there anything you can do to prevent this?

Based Bradford if that makes any odds?

Ta

philconsequence
    Free Member

had the same question bubbling around my my empty skull for a while now, i figured for 5quid in tescos it was worth giving this a try:

http://www.vanish.co.uk/vanish-power-powder-large-area-carpet-cleaner.php

its cleaned up the ‘high traffic area’s’ that the professional guy who came round to quote said they probably couldn’t get clean, despite wanting 300quid to try lol

ebygomm
    Free Member

We’ve always had good results with Rug Doctor, can’t comment on getting dirtier more quickly as it’s always been at the end of a rental.

highclimber
    Free Member

I looked at hiring one from HSS I think it was £17 plus any cleaning fluids for a weekend.

My mum hired a professional cleaning man for their living room and stairs and I think he charged £30 + Vat

sugdenr
    Free Member

Depends how much you got to do and who you have in the house.

With 2 nippers and little spare time we get someone in to do downstairs fairly regular.

AFAIK, bloke with huge wet vac in van sucks harder (oh er misssus) cleans more throughly and leaves it much less wet so can be used sooner doesn’t risk rotting the carpet from underneath if too much moisture got down there etc, and does it when the little scruffbags are at school out of the way.

jonba
    Free Member

We’ve done houses with a rugdoctor and also with had a professional in after some building work.

The professional guy used what looked like a very large rugdoctor, certainly seemed to operate in the same way. The results were very good, but that may have just been down to the sheer range of cleaning products he had at his disposal.

Rugdoctors have also been good although they struggled with some tough stains using the additional cleaning sprays. Spending more money on some other cleaning products would have helped but it was always rental when we were moving out.

You can do a carpet in an hour or yourself, depending on size and condition. It can take 24hours for things to dry and you’ll need to move furniture. Don’t know if professionals make this any different.

z1ppy

In-law’s have a Bissell carpet cleaner, couple of hundred quid new and very/surprisingly effective, as good as any (non-industrial) hire unit I’ve used previously.
    A decent enough investment, if you plan to do it regularly.

Nick

Also when I have done it myself in the past (hiring equipment) the carpets have appeared to get dirty more quickly 2nd time round. Is there anything you can do to prevent this?

That’s because the carpets are treated to help repel dirt, when you wash them you wash off this treatment.

IHN

That’s because the carpets are treated to help repel dirt, when you wash them you wash off this treatment.

And, according to the chap I had tround to clean a carpet, because the hire shampoo leaves a residue which dirt then sticks to.

I hired a chap with a 20hp(!) wet vac in the back of his transit, which he used to flush nearly boiling water through the carpet. No chemicals, the heat/water/pressure did it all, including removing the stain from a whole bottle of red wine spilt across the middle of the floor. Excellent job, and not much more than a DIY hire.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ll let you know tomorrow, I have a man coming to do the stairs and landings and a couple of rugs which two boys and a dog have left looking like we’ve had squatters. He has a big rug doctor and a steam thing. Cost is around 80 I think.

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve used that spray foam stuff in the past for heavily trafficked areas and it was good. I’ve hired a carpet cleaner from speedy in the past too and that was pretty good. Borther in lawy now has his own little DIY one which is OK but not the qualitiy of the rental one.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Carpet cleaning – DIY (Hire) DIY (Buy) or Get a Pro?’ is closed to new replies.