Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Carpet cleaning
  • cudubh

Thinking of cleaning some of the house carpets instead of engaging in the really expensive business of replacement. I am toying with hiring a machine from Morisons. Is there any experience of self cleaning? Is it worthwhile or just a wate of time and money? Would we e better off etting somebody in to do it? We are hoping to move house and want to have the house looking decent for viewers so I am reluctant to spend a load of money on replacing carpets for the new people’s benefit but if that is what it takes to help shift the house in what is a pretty poor market at the moment I’ll do it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Consider buying a Vax machine, they are pretty cheap.

midlifecrashes

Rug Doctor machines are very good. I’d try them first. I’ve done a fair few being a landlord, and several times tried it on a carpet I thought I’d have to scrap and had it come up OK. Their spot cleaner on stubborn bits is worthwhile too.

GTDave
    Free Member

Second the Rug Doctor. It’s results are far better than any other one you can buy, and just as good as having them professionally done.

nickjb
    Free Member

+1 for rug doctor. Works really well, brings carpet up like new. If you google it there is some debate over whether you need to use the proper (expensive) branded detergent.

grim168
    Free Member

we hire the rug doctor from morrisons every now and again. It works well but the detergent isn’t that cheap. It does a good job though.

Houns

+1 more for rug doctor

donsimon
    Free Member

Have a look at HSS Hire Shops they have a couple of different types and prices.

Mugboo

My missus has just booked a chap from Halifax on somebodys recommendation and he is charging £36 for 3 carpets. Not worth the effort of doing it yourself at that price…

donald
    Free Member

I’d get a man in.

Hairychested
    Free Member

We have a Vax and the missus has fun every now and then 😉

robdob
    Free Member

I worked with 2 friends of mine who were professional carpet cleaners. Top of their game as they could clean hand made carpets (one of them had a relative who owned Signature Carpets who make hand made carpets – we are talking £100k+ for a ground floor for a big house – they were the only people they would recommend to clean them)
    They said a lot of these guys who quote really cheap prices for cleaning your carpets used nothing more than a Rug Doctor (which are ace, I worked in a place that hired them and they always got good reports) and quite often left the carpets very wet.
    They had a transit van which cost £50k to fit out at they had a 15hp diesel engine which powered their cleaning equipment. They used much harsher chemicals which made things much cleaner (but he used to time it to the minute how long to keep them on the carpet before sucking them up) and obviously had huge sucking powers which he said was the key, the sucking out of the dirt was the most important bit, not just setting it free.

They recommended cleaning your carpets once a year from new. A lot of people say “if you clean them they get dirtier faster” which is total crap. The only thing which should make you change your carpet is if you want a change in colour or it wears out. Amazing that most people spend thousands on their carpets but never clean them properly.

They have moved to the Lake District now – they do do private homes and not as expensive as you might think but the service is amazing. I can find their details if you want.

Rug Doctor +1 as well 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

Rent a machine – they work really well and a Vax isn’t a patch on something industrial. Just plan your furniture moves and not having animals / families trying to use the rooms while they dry.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

When we had carpets we used Chem-Dry. very impressed with the service

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Carpet cleaning’ is closed to new replies.