Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Carpet
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Has anyone got a synthetic carpet? We need a new carpet for the upstairs and have been suggested a synthetic one rather than wool, mainly due to the fact that it’s a lot easier to clean and we have a baby on the way. Are there any disadvantages to synthetic carpets? The scientific hand feel test indicated no real difference but wondering if we’re going to be plagued with electric shocks through static build up.

Drac

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XrSBNB_XTk[/video]

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

mainly due to the fact that it’s a lot easier to clean

I suggest they were having a laugh. Try sprinkling some sawdust on a pure wool carpet and likewise on a synthetic one. You will able to sweep it off the pure wool carpet but will seriously struggle with even a vacuum cleaner on the synthetic one. Synthetic carpets are a nightmare to clean.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

we have a baby on the way

Funnily enough, we had this very debate towards the end of last year. 🙂

In the end, we went for a pure wool carpet throughout upstairs and accept that there will be the odd spillage, but that good baby wipes will get rid of anything. Wool is much nicer underfoot (and you’ll be doing a lot of padding around in your bare feet). Are you anywhere near Bristol? I know a few chaps that could get you something in pure wool for a decent price if you’ve chosen something. Oh and go for something with a twist rather than a weave. Cleans much more easily.

jonba
    Free Member

My carpet fitter says that synthetic is better than wool for cleaning in that you can use chemicals – they normally say that you can bleach them. Never had occasion to do this. Wool is generally better for wear as it doesn’t flatten as easily.

The feel and sawdust thing is probably more dependant on the type of carpet. I can’t remember the technical stuff but. We have some synthetic that is single strands and that cleans easily. The pile is relatively short but then you get looped types which things stick to like velcro.

FWIW we got a synthetic in our lounge. It was relatively expensive, the cheap ones were nasty. It has been fine to clean the odd mark off but we only used water so I assume wool would have been fine too. It has flattened slightly (in 18months) by the door. We are about to get the stairs done and we’ll be using wool.

If the carpet is for the babies room then just get a cheaper one and a nice rug.

br
    Free Member

It has flattened slightly (in 18months) by the door.

I’ve just thrown out some carpet that was originally laid 40 years ago, in the family house. And then moved 20 years ago when my folks bought a new place.

It still looked/felt good – but Mum always bought good quality carpet and underlay.

If anything I’d go for a wool mix, but majority wool. And get the best quality underlay.

Also mess from babies is usually organic, so easy to clean.

Drac

Synthetic here and never had a problem cleaning them and on the odd time of a stubborn stain we use a bleach solution so that takes care of those.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ok ta. Good point about baby mess being organic. It’s not a cheap synthetic and is a twist. Interesting re wear though. The cleaning point was more to do with liquid spills.

Maybe just stick to tried and tested wool.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The cleaning point was more to do with liquid spills.

Well I would expect synthetic to adsorb liquid spills less than wool. My comment was based on dust/particle related issues and learnt the hard way when not bothering with dust sheets, or using them ineffectually.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Are you going to put the baby in a nappy or just let it roam free and squirt wherever it wants?
    If the former I’m not sure what a baby has to do with anything. Get whichever carpet you like the most.
    Much more relevant is food/drink being spilt downstairs.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Are you going to put the baby in a nappy or just let it roam free and squirt wherever it wants?

You can’t put a nappy over its mouth though. (Worse luck!)

sharkbait
    Free Member

True. We’ve had three kids though and never had an issue upstairs – certainly not enough to alter our choice of carpet.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Indeed – true enough. As I said, certain wipes remove everything, especially if you catch it wet. Anyway, yeah, I wouldn’t let it alter my choice.

Gotama
    Free Member

Wasn’t intending on letting the thing roam to do its business wherever it pleases….but true, won’t let poo potential alter choice. Was more worried about static issues.

Wooden floors downstairs so its only upstairs.

Gotama
    Free Member

Double post

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Carpet’ is closed to new replies.