Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Carpenters/Joiners/woodists – question on oak step making
  • rocco

Currently we have 2 concrete steps down into our kitchen, one each end and I am looking at making a nice oak step cover to attach to them. Had a quote of £600 so keen to try myself rather than paying that!

I have done a few wood working bits but this will be my biggest yet and keen to get it right as it will be in view all the time. The look I would like to create is in the link below, sorry can’t attach a pic from work PC.

My question is how do you create the “frame” look? My thinking so far is cut the centre panel and the frame from different bits of wood, to get 2 different grains. Then using router tongue and groove the edges and glue together? Any better ways to create it?

Any help really appreciated

http://www.bonsaigroup.gg/media/10785/LaMoyenne_StepDetailCU_671x446.jpg

joshvegas
    Free Member

Sack off the tongue and grooveand biscuit joint it.

Ensure the riser supports the surround.

You might run into issues expansion of the inner piece.

bforbertie

Looking at that floor I wonder if its engineered- i.e. oak “veneer” on more stable plywood type base. That would work better as the framed piece as it will not expand and contract as a solid piece of oak will. Surround would need to be solid wood and would work well with biscuit joints, can be done with a router if you don’t have access to a biscuit jointer, using 4mm slot cutter. Should be a way of getting some short offcut pieces of engineered oak flooring?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

OP, realise you probably can’t do it from work, but can you post a pic of the steps in question later?

If you can, I can point you in the best direction for a solution, as I end up having to clad concrete and ply steps all the time when putting flooring in. Also, what kind of kit do you have? Just thinking off the top of my head what I’d need for doing something like that:

Chop saw with ability to cut 45 deg bevel cuts; not mitres, but you’ll need to do those too – anything with ability to cut 45 deg bevel will also cut simple mitres anyway.

Something to enable you to rip long straight pieces for the treads & risers, so circular saw & cutting guide or even better, a table saw.

Router with biscuit cutter – don’t need to t&g the whole lot.

Will have a look later if you’ve posted the pics and let you know what’s the best approach.

nickjb
    Free Member

I think bforbertie has it. The inner panel is probably an engineered flooring ‘plank’, with an oak bead attached. If you have a solid piece of oak then there is no real need for the separate frame. Pretty simple job well described above plus you will need some big clamps/cramps to glue it all together and minimise any gaps.

BigJohn

I had to do an oak threshold for one customer and an oak boxed mantelpiece for another last month.

In both cases I used 22mm oak windowboard and oak door framing from B&Q. Ridiculously cheap for what it is,although you need to look through and make sure the bonding (it’s made of strips) is all OK.

I used pocket hole screws (see Kreg Junior Pockethole Jigs) and that’s what I’d do for your step.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If you have a solid piece of oak then there is no real need for the separate frame.

It looks nicer than a single piece, especially as it refers to the cross-board of the top step.

rocco

Thanks all. DD I’ll try and post a photo of the steps tonight when home.

The thinking about going for the frame is all about it looking a little nicer. If its going to be too much work I’ll just get a nice piece of solid oak and use that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In the meantime, you could look into buying some “Oak stair nosings”. I found these on google and they’re not too expensive.

rocco

I have seen those and will need to use one for the top step, the photo will explain.

I guess I could use the stair nosing as the frame around an engineered oak board for the centre. Would probably eliminate any potential shrinking compared with solid oak

project
    Free Member

Band Q are doing oak steps,or qok timber sheets that cover a step as part of a kit.

http://www.diy.com/departments/stair-klad-oak-veneer-stair-flooring-tread-riser-kit/1013076_BQ.prd

rocco

Project – Step is too long so unable to use those kits unfortunately

Ok, hopefully this works. This the bigger of the steps and I am in 2 minds about extending the side to make it more even but the boss isn’t keen for some reason.

(Ignore the tiles as I’m part way through finishing the floor and am yet to cut the last 2 tiles)

My plan is to have a oak “nose” on the top step with a slight overlap on the floor to create a door bar as well. The nose will need to extend around the door frame slightly and bullnose up to the wall. I hope that makes sense.

Then I will make 2 new risers, these may be painted so don’t necessarily need to be oak, then the new tread for the bottom step

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’d be stripping that step and polishing it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Carpenters/Joiners/woodists – question on oak step making’ is closed to new replies.