• This topic has 49 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Carpenters…how long to
  • project
    Free Member

Last year, talking to a fellow builder when out cycling, he had done a lot of work for his neighbour up the street, about a few weeks work, got paid ok and then went off on holiday for a week,just a uk week away, got home and a barrage of abuse from neighbour on the ansaphone, and a written letter of complaint about all the faults.

The letter finished off by stating he the neighbour wasnt happy about paying for the builders holiday.

Always best to avoid doing bigger jobs for neighbours and relatives.

therag
    Free Member

2 days is fair on old frames & out of square. I’d charge £200 labour only.

therag
    Free Member

P.s. Just left the building trade after 21 yrs and hope to never go back.

tymbian
    Free Member

@ theraq..is that per day? Where abouts n the land are you?

therag
    Free Member

Cash job £100 p/d
    South Wales

TheBrick
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s unique to the building trade. I have a friend who is having an issue with a customers about some software he is writing dispute having a contract all signed.

tymbian
    Free Member

I think it’s been summed up in an earlier post that people see the cost and not the value…

Hang a door takes the same time to say as open a door..it sounds like a totally quick & simple process and gives no insight to the work involved..

wwpaddler
    Free Member

People don’t realise what they’re actually paying for. They see a tradesman on site for time x and workout what they’d get paid for that time and then expect to pay an amount based on that and how they value a tradesman compared to their job. They forget about the other costs to their employer of NICs, pension, desk, buillding etc and the tradesmans cost of tools, van, training, qualifications, quotes, driving etc.

rone

My favourite expression for threads on here: People know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

alpin
    Free Member

Cash job £100 p/d
    South Wales

Fhaack?!

To the op, if FiL isn’t happy offer to go round and takes the doors off and call it quits….

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Carpenters…how long to’ is closed to new replies.