Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Carpark Height Restriction Barriers
  • wombat

I’ll be visiting a carpark later today that has a 1.90m height restriction barrier (according to the sign on the height bar).

My car with the roofbox attached is 1.90m high by my measurement.

What are the chances of the barier being exactly 1.90m high?

nickjb
    Free Member

They are generally slightly over but often only a few mm. We have a high car and had to squeeze under a couple.

jam-bo

let the tyres down a bit.

wombat

I may put a couple of paving slabs in the boot for this trip to compress the suspension

Simon

Take roof box off, put in boot. Or take a tape measure.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Approach the barrier really fast, then brake hard (which will lower the front of the car) as you go through, when you’re half way through accelerate really hard to make the back-end squat down. Might take a couple of practice goes to get perfect, so have some spare roof boxes to hand.

wombat

Have just fitted the roofbox in preparation for the weekend so CBA removing it unless it’s essential.

I’m reasoning that there’s sure to be a degree of leeway with the height of the barrier, I’ve seen Range Rovers parked in there before and Google tells me they’re a touch over 1.9m high

wombat

Although this

Approach the barrier really fast, then brake hard (which will lower the front of the car) as you go through, when you’re half way through accelerate really hard to make the back-end squat down. Might take a couple of practice goes to get perfect, so have some spare roof boxes to hand.

is the favourite option so far….

Jamie
    Free Member

Reverse under it. Cars get lower when they drive backwards.

KonaTC

Took a LDV mini bus under one a few years back the label on the dash said I had enough clearance, but we managed to pop the roof back out afterwards and when it was filled with booze on the way out there was plenty of clearance.

My mate wasn’t so lucky in a multi storey as the internal lights on the roof on the 2nd or 3rd floor were lower than the height restriction and he trashed the roof of his van; the local council paid out in the end.

scotroutes

Hire a few Sumo wrestlers as temporary passengers

theteaboy
    Free Member

My bet is that you’re so careful squeezing under it that you forget to look for concrete bollards.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

normally they move (former van owner) just use your eyes and look – it’s quite simple

tiggs121
    Free Member

Why are they there in an open car park anyway? Keep campervan owners like me (annoying)out?
    Or is it to prevent some of these “travelling people” infecting the place?

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Had roofbox on my freelander( see pic in camping for a week thread) came back from France and had to do a few tip runs, I loaded up the car with the stuff for the tip and drove over to it – as I was going through the barrier there was an almighty crash and I had forgot about the roofbox .
    I really thought I would have rippled the roif but luckily the bar had hit the front of the box and bounced up on its chains
    No damage but the 30 sets of eyes looking at me made me feel a right chump

greeble
    Free Member

fit adjustable coilovers to the car.

TooTall
    Free Member

Use a different carpark?

dannybgoode

Get to carpark and remove wheels. Lift car onto some form of rollers like what they did for Stonehenge and manoeuvre car into said carpark.

Reattach wheels and find parking space.

When you leave again simply drive to the barrier, take the wheels off again etc.

Won’t take more than a day or so…

plyphon
    Free Member

Just park your car on some elses driveway nearby, everyone does it.

wwaswas

bloke I met camping said they bought a new roofbox and his wife took the car to work the following morning and smashed it driving into the carpark so that night they went and got another one.

Which she then demolished arriving at work the following morning.

OP: be aware that even if you get under the height restriction it doesn’t mean the actual car park won;t have a low bit to catch you out.

Milkie
    Free Member

As someone else has said, be careful, it may say 1.9m and you might only be 1.85m but they generally don’t take into account trunking, lights and anything that is fitted to the structure.

iolo
    Free Member

Tell the wife/husband/kids to get out or ask passerby and have a look if its ok

samuri
    Free Member

Just drive into it. Lets face it we’ve all done it. Hearing a massive bang and watching your belongings crash through your back window is a rite of passage.

wombat

The car park in question is the short stay one at LABIA (Leeds And Bradford International Airport) so it’s all open air but with a height restriction barrier at the entrance. My guess is that the nice folks at LABIA must be going with tiggs121’s second & third suggestion…

Keep campervan owners like me (annoying)out?
    Or is it to prevent some of these “travelling people” infecting the place?

scaredypants

That is an excellent abbreviation – they offer free flights for the Cardiff University netball team ?

re. height: I’d go with TuckerUK’s option

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Be very very careful. A mate of mine just managed to squeeze under the shopping centre car park height restriction with his brand spanking new roof box. On the way out he wasn’t so lucky however!

Turns out he hadn’t factored in the major dump he’d had in the shopping centre toilets!

iolo
    Free Member

Oh FFS you’re flying so what do you need?
    Take the bloody roofbox off.

br
    Free Member

I’ve seen Range Rovers parked in there before and Google tells me they’re a touch over 1.9m high

Don’t they have air-suspension, so maybe lower to get in?

scuttler

TuckerUK – Member

Do you write for Viz? Proper chuckled at that.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Carpark Height Restriction Barriers’ is closed to new replies.