Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Carpal tunnel syndrome – any sufferers on here?
  • Bazz

I have been diagnosed with suffering from this and it has wrecked my year with regards to cycling as I can barely hold the handle bars some days. I have been on a couple of months worth of stretching and wearing hand splints at night and whilst this helps a little as does rest, as soon as I undertake any activity that requires lifting or gripping the pain comes back immediately. I’m booked into have some steroid injections next week and was wondering if any sufferers could let me know how effective these were for you, and most importantly did they help you to get back on the bike.

Thanks.

piha
    Free Member

I had steroid injections for my Carpal Tunnel and it worked well.

I was fortunate enough however to be able to change my role at work at the same time which helped enormously I believe (I went from being in a very physical role to one of occasional physical exertion). Wrists still get a little sore on a longer ride (3-4hrs +) but not enough to hinder my enjoyment of the ride.

P.S I was advised to sit down by my Dr to have the jab and I don’t think he’d done one for several decades judging by all his digging about……

DrP

As a ‘giver’ of said injections (and CTS sufferer only after long MTB rides) I would say they ARE pretty effective.
    Shouldn’t need to have ‘digging’ going on though:
    In, squirt, out…all in one smooth motion… (Isn’t that right ladies….)

DrP

Edukator
    Free Member

After several years of suffering the doc sent me to a nerve doc who measured signal speed and intensity and told me it was time to stop putting up with the sleepless nights and handicap and have the operation on the left hand at least. That was year ago. Within a few months I was playing guitar again having been unable to get through a three minute song without the hand losing coordination and going numb. A year on and I’m starting to solo again, the fingers having regained most of their speed and coordination.

I just made this for the Jesus thread but it’ll give you an idea of how effective the op is.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-3EsnGiAP8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Bazz

Well i’ll be keeping my fingers crossed then, I know steroid injections can be effective but having had my shoulder injected a few times for a rotator cuff impingement this year and all being un effective I’ve been a little doubtful. I’ve got to have surgery on my shoulder next month and could do without further surgeries for a while.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

My GP diagnosed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my left arm some years back. I went to a Chinese acupuncturist who cured it in two sessions. I would say that it was something like 85% cured after the first session and the 15% remainder in the second session. It was completely cured and it’s never come back, that was probably 15-20 years ago.

I’ve been told that’s it’s not possible for acupuncture to cure Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I don’t, but my Dad did, had it fixed surgically – the guy who did it was amazing, he also fixed my mangled elbow which my previous consultant wanted to fuse.

Not sure where you’re based, but a consultation will cost you £100, not much all things considered.

http://www.spirehealthcare.com/cardiff/our-facilities-treatments-and-consultants/our-consultants/mr-david-shewring/

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

nerve doc

It’s actually Orthopaedics that do it.

I thought it was roughly 2 injections and the surgery?

Got to help yourself though and stop doing what is aggravating it.

Go privately and pay your £100, but surgery will cost you quite a bit more…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Personally I paid the £100 (well twice actually) plus a few hundred for some scans (you can usually take your own on a DVD from your NHS x-rays) then transfer to a NHS waiting list for treatment. I waited 6 months for mine which was fine.

I think it was £15k or something to have it done privately as it was a few hours work, a lot more than my Dad paid.

Edukator
    Free Member

Neurologue in French, nerve doctor. The surgeon made a small hole then inserted a probe with a camera and a cutter on the end and cut through the ligament. It was a few week before I could do much with the hand and about three months before the ligament grew back and it was strong enough to hold my weight. The pain stopped immediately but it’s taken me a long time to get the fingers moving fast again. I perhaps left it longer than I should have. the neurologue said that if people leave it too long the nerve can be permanently damaged.

myti
    Free Member

I’ve got it. Had 3 injections that worked amazingly well. Almost overnight. Now on waiting list for surgery. Too many years of manual labour and vibrating tools to blame.

4ags4
    Free Member

HAD it in one hand/wrist and was uncomfortable up to the elbow at times.
    Had only one steroid injection which worked for approx six months before the symptoms came back worse than before with really burning fingers! – was then advised by the consultant that surgery would be the best option.
    Had (open) surgery approx one year ago and it has worked well though the heel of the hand (area of surgery) can still be a little sensitive sometimes.
    All done on the NHS and TBH I can’t have have any complaints.

Stainypants

Wife had the surgery after developing it post pregnancy worked really well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Carpal tunnel syndrome – any sufferers on here?’ is closed to new replies.