Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Carn Ban Mor (Cairngorms)
  • mtbsammy
    Free Member

Hi.
    I’m taking a biking road trip around Scotland next week. I have heard some good things about Carn Ban Mor, looks like a good natural ride, a real contrast to the trail centres. Only problem is I read on an old post that it has changed and is no longer as good as it was.
    Would be great if someone knew the current condition of the route and whether it was still worth riding.

Thanks, Sam

Kunstler

I did a brilliant variation on that route a year ago. If you ask in Bothy Bikes in Aviemore you’ll get some fantastic route advice.

chickenman

Sanny has posted some alternative/better descents from further north on the Ridge (Sgoran Dubh Mor).Do a google search.

Kunstler

Yeah, that’s the one. It goes on to Creag Dubh and then down Creag Folais and the zig zags. Do NOT attempt to take the track to Loch na Gamha. It shows on the map but doesn’t exist on the ground. You have to go round to Feshiebridge. From there I’d highly recommend riding ‘cake or death’ to er, cake at Inshriach.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Carn Ban Mor itself is pretty unspectacular, but it’s an easy summit to ride up to, thanks to the well graded fireroad from Glen Feshie. As above, continue to Sgor Gaoith (a Munro) for the views and the broad ridgeline descent to the north.

Finding the zig zags can be a bit tricky, but worth persevering as they are a fun way down (though pretty overgrown currently). Some genuine switchbacks to be found.

You can battle your way to Loch na Gamba along the line of the track shown on the OS Map, but my 25k version shows a footbridge that isnt there. Be prepared to get your feet wet! But that’s worth it too, if you are heading back in the Loch Morlich direction, as you then get to ride the singletrack past Loch na Gamba and Loch Eilein. The route you choose probably depends on where you start and where you want to finish. We rode out from Glenmore Lodge, and back, which was 65k with a long road stretch at the start (though flat). You’ll also get to ride the Glen Feshie singletrack too, which is great (and includes a fairly fierce staircase).

You’ll probably find some snow up on the tops, have fun!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Agentdamnit, any chance of emailing me that route? Sounds a corker

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Hi Nobeer – I cant say much more than above, and dont have a gpx. Here goes:

Take the Feshie Bridge road south from Inverduie
    At Feshie Bridge take the dead end road to the car park, from there you can pick up various singletrack options south on the east bank of the river.
    At Carnachuin take the obvious double track that climbs up the side valley towards Mullach Clach a Bhlair (another Munroe you can tick off with a short diversion). It’s a fairly long climb, but not too steep after the first 15 minutes (…push, for me).
    This takes you right up onto the Cairngorm plateau, but you’ll probably be surprised to find the first couple of kms are on jeep road double track up there.
    You’ll need a map, head mainly N over Carn Ban Mor to Sgor Gaoith, and take a photo at the top. Also, have a good look down at Loch Einich and the crags on its W side.
    Head north off the summit towards Creag Dubh and the Argyll Stone. But before you get to the stone, head to the shoulder on Creag Follais, you can see the zig zags on the 25k and 50k maps, but it doesnt show where they start. Look for the weather station equipment and you’ll pick them up there.
    Follow them down, then through the tree line to a foot bridge.
    From here, use your map to get back to Glen Feshie if you parked there, otherwise do what we did and start stumbling, riding and pushing through long grass and tussocks in the general direction of Loch Garnha skirting the woods. There is just about a path on the ground, but it’s hard to follow, and as I mentioned, the footbridge that you think you’re heading for isnt there!
    So, head for the SW corner of the Loch, cross a few streams, and you’ll probably find the bothy near the loch. From there there’s a choice of routes through Rothiemurcus, including the Lairig Ghru ride up / descent – but if you are like me, you’ll be too tired to do that today.

It’s an epic ride, get’s a bit disjointed near the end, but you wont find an easier way up a Munro without an uplift, and the Cairngorms are spectacular, especially with a coating of snow. I’d be a bit negligent not to warn you to take a map, compass / gps and some warm gear. It’s reasonably remote, though there are short cut options.

If you’re up there, it’s worth calling in at Bothy bikes in Aviemore, they were really helpful to us and showed us some local’s trails that we would never have found otherwise.

Enjoy it!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cool, cheers. Been up CBM a couple of times, so know the area, roughly.

Kunstler

Nobeerinthefridge – I have a gpx of that route. Well, my version of it that went a up to and past the Argyll Stone (I was curious) and locates the top of the zig zag descent. It also shows where the path should have been after it. David at Bothy did warn me off trying it but I think I’d reached maximum information input before then. The gpx shows that I walked up the burn as this was way easier dragging the bike over and through rough ground and dense heather. It probably took as long as it would to ride around on forest tracks and road. Just my little disclaimer, it’s up to you.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Kunstler, I’d be very grateful if you could go out yer way to email me that! Address in profile fella.

Kunstler

YGM.

mtbsammy
    Free Member

Hey, thanks for the advice guys. I’ll get a 25 scale OS map and look into your route. I’ll definitely call into Bothy bikes and pick their brains too.
    I’m also keen to ride the grey mares tail in Kinlochleven and devils staircase near Glencoe. Would anyone recommend them?

Bike Magic Trail Guide TV: Kinlochleven, Scotland

Bike Magic Trail Guide TV: Devil’s Staircase with Ben Cathro

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Carn Ban Mor (Cairngorms)’ is closed to new replies.