• This topic has 39 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Cargo Trailer
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I could do with a cargo trailer as it would be handy for a few reasons – collecting wood from the forest for the chimnea, nipping out to the shops for small amounts of shopping, possibly used for overnight camping trips.

I’d like something that’s easy to fit to the bike but doesn’t leave anything attached to the bike when not in use – I would probably use it on a couple of different bikes. So something that would drop onto a longer qr maybe?

I’d like the cargo box to fold flat if possible.

Doesn’t need to be big and burly. Does such a thing exist? Everything I’ve looked at so far looks a but too big for my needs.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

ikea

This any good?

a friend of mine has one of those chinese BOB trailer copies and its pretty good.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Something like that but I need to be able to fit it to a bike easily.

Does the bob trailer copy look like this one on ebay?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ah just noticed the ikea one does fit bikes, can’t see how in the pics though but I’ll take a look at the instructions.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Yeah thats the one from eBay, Pretty good, but you need to keep switch qr axles. And i know he had problems with a frame that had 3d dropouts and the mounts needed bending to fit,

looking at pictures on google the ikea one, handle switches round to fit on the bike.

Gary_M
    Free Member

looking at pictures on google the ikea one, handle switches round to fit on the bike.

Yeh I saw that but as the instruction don’t appear to be available on the ikea site I can’t see how it attaches to the bike.

Swapping qr’s wouldn’t be an issue really.

Pyro

Ah just noticed the ikea one does fit bikes, can’t see how in the pics though but I’ll take a look at the instructions.

Clamp on the seatpost or chainstay normally, don’t they?

edit: Chainstay/QR axle, by the looks of this shot:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does anyone know of a chinese BOB that fit’s 29ers?

Don’t want the two wheeled versions as between me and the shops is a dedicated cycle route (i.e it’s littered with f****** bollards and chicanes).

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve got one that goes on my cross bike no worries, can’t remember how much extra clearance it has but if you get no answer ill connect it up and take a pic when I get a minute

Gary_M
    Free Member

Would be good to see that as this one will be going on my cx bike mainly.

tthew

I’d beware of the Ikea one. I know the bike has dedicated braze-on’s for the carriers, it might be the same for the trailer. Best check before splashing the cash, (or at least unpack it in such a way you can take it back).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got one that goes on my cross bike no worries, can’t remember how much extra clearance it has but if you get no answer ill connect it up and take a pic when I get a minute

I asked and they rather unhelpfully came back with “28inch fits fine”.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

From @Pyro’s post/pic the hitch looks the same as on the Halfords child trailer I use. Flat dropouts are needed as the tow hitch for the bike side is QR’d to the frame.
    The bike end is this http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/child-bike-trailers/halfords-spare-clip-and-bracket
    The trailer end is very good, with essentially a large spring providing a UJ for movement. I’ve had the trailer on the back at over 30mph with no problem.

highlandman
    Free Member

Bob copies from the far east are grand; I’ve a steel one that Edinburgh Bikes used to stock a few years back and it’s been bomb-proof, outlasting the aluminium Bob designs significantly. Fits on the 29er easily and takes a few seconds to swap the QR over. One big advantage of the ‘single wheel at the back’ low deck design is how well it tracks the bike on techier trails, I’ve had no difficulty dragging mine around a tour de Cairngorms a couple of times.

Gary_M
    Free Member

At £47 the eBay one looks like a no brainer then.

highlandman
    Free Member

This is very similar indeed to my Edinburgh bikes trailer, if quite a bit more expensive..
    I’ve yet to see one that works with 12mm rear dropouts.

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/adventure_folding_cargo_trailer-ID_15645&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=*Bing%20-%20%20Shopping%20-%20%20All&utm_term=4582833184058540&utm_content=UK%20All

kcal

yes, that’\s the same as my old EBC one. As axles move from simple QRs it’ll be a problem, and I reckoned my 29r wheel was at limit of fit. general purpose bike with 700c 35mm tyres was OK though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yea, the current ebay one looks a little less well put together than the original EBC/ebay one, especially the scary looking suspension!

Gary_M
    Free Member

There’s suspension?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Insert fingers here:

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ah that’s a different one to the one I linked to, this one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d not seen that one, looks like it might put a lot of load on the swingarm/upright weld without any triangulation?

Alternative either this is:

a) fake
    b) a decimal point error
    c) a bargain

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Burley-Nomad-Bicycle-Cargo-Trailer-Covered-Bike-Cargo-Touring-100lb-m-/222525983880?hash=item33cf950c88:g:YggAAOSwxu5ZKYr6

But at £35 I’m tempted to have a go at 3D printing a chainstay mount for it (i’m letting nothing cheap and chinese anywhere near my rear QR).

kcal

!! outside UK (China); free P&P – hm…

Gary_M
    Free Member

mm zero sales on ebay, its from China but says ‘NO INTERNATIONAL SALES- Sorry!’

stumpy01

I asked a similar-ish question a couple of years ago and got some good responses.
    See if there’s anything in here that might help:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-use-a-trailer-for-grocery-shopping-recommend-one

I didn’t end up getting one in the end, although I do still want to. Just one of those things that I never get round to buying!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gary, I seem to remember a guy in Stewarton who made them? stuck in my head for some reason! I’ll see if i can find it.

Edit – some details of the guy here

Gary_M
    Free Member

It’s amazing what goes on on the Clunch Road! I’m a bit confused by that site though, has the guy sold the design to Carry Freedom?

I like the bob yak but I’m not paying bob yak prices as it’ll be occasional use only. I do like the eBay one with the ‘suspension’, but don’t want suspension. That without the stupid springs would be ideal.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dunno mate, I do remember he was giving out drawings for the bamboo thing for a donation to an african charity, but he definitely made trailers too, and not from Bamboo! Worth a phone call I’d say though.

sweepy
    Free Member

Heres mine in use, its the qeridoo one in the stumpy’s thread.

Here it is on the back of the cross bike, thats a 700,35 maxxis don’t know how that would compare to a 29er, hope that helps.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like qeridoo do that trailer anymore.

trail_rat
    Free Member

In contrast to Highlandmans post my ebc bob copy will not fit my 29er….it’s not even close. 29*2.25 racing Ralph so not exactly a massive tire…

Fits my cross bike no bother though.

kcal

likewise, Terry. Can’t really be a dropout thing though I guess it may be geometry related.

kcal

Can I bump this thread w.r.t. 29r wheels?

Has anyone used / tried this – http://www.bobgear.com/bike-trailers/trailer-forks – to upgrade for 29″ wheels?

boxelder

kcal – it fits a 29er wheel for A BOB trailer if that’s the query – I’ve just hired a BOB Ibex from Cyclewise for a wee trip with the family.

kcal

Brill – though I was not clear – if I had a EBC cargo base, could I retro fit the longer fork from Bob onto that ?!

tjagain

Bobs have two different sizes of “forks” IIRC. Having used both a bob and an ebc copy the bob is much better made but both work

sam_underhill

I bought the large carry freedom y-frame this summer. It’s really stable, easy to connect / disconnect and it’s a super flexible platform.
    I’ve got a big foldable box for doing the weekly shop and when you need to move awkward stuff I just use the flat bed and lash stuff on.
    It’s not a cheap option, but it’s absolutely brilliant!

bigrich

I have a bob and had a cheap copy. The metal QR thingy on the pivot bent on the cheap one under heavy load.

the bob is bullet proof after 9 years.

boxelder

For anyone looking in future this is the 28″ (i.e. bigger) BOB ‘fork’ with a 29×2.1″ tyre

[/url]IMG_2621[/img]

kcal

Cool!

@boxelder
    – I guess I can get Bob QR skewers – so really I’m after the compatibility between the cargo beds of EBC copy and the Bob.
    I might PM you!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Cargo Trailer’ is closed to new replies.