• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by rents.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cargo bike recommedations.
  • robw1
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a cargo bike to transport kids and just use instead of a car around town. Don’t want a full on ice cream / butchers bike so looking at something like a Kona Ute. Any other recommendations?

It needs to take a child seat (for a three year old), and possibly a 5 year old too! Was thinking of putting a hamax type seat on for the youngest and the oldest could just hold on tight on the bench!

himupstairs

this was being discussed on here a wee while ago. some decent advice and interesting opinions.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cargo-bikes

(my advice is get a proper dutch style cargo bike with box. we use ours for shopping, two kids etc etc)

scaled
    Free Member

Your window for Hamax usage is closing really as there’s a 22KG weight limit. My lad is 2 and a half and although he’s not near the limit yet if he starts doing wind the bobbin up enthusiastically it can get a bit wobbly.

robw1
    Free Member

wind the bobbin up always causes issues.

I don’t really want a proper boxed cargo bike as I need it too for getting to work, to the station etc.

yeah hammax might not be the best option. Maxi do one that looks like it will straddle a bend on a cargo bike I think

T1000
    Free Member

Recommend looking at a Yuba Mundo

The Poli sport seats are really good the guppy Maxi ff is a good option for when they get too big for the hanimax style seats

(Being opportunistic ii’ve a pair of the regular guppy maxi’s for sale)

edhornby

I have a ute, my kids are 7 and 4, the 7yo got too big at the age of 6 because when they both sit on the bench the eldest is behind the rear axle, the youngest still goes on to get to school with the eldest walking

the yepp seat does fit (can sell you one for cheap!)

TimP
    Free Member

As Ed says above, if you can find a seat to bolt to the board at the back it would take the stress off the frame and the cantilever bracket. My 7yo still gets on the Ute once or twice a week, but the youngest at 4 is too small, I dont trust her yet to hold on. I have bars springing off the off my seat post for them to hold onto, foot pegs and a pad, but it is getting a bit cramped as the foot pegs are too high

robw1
    Free Member

thanks for the advice. I like the idea of the Konas as they are bit more like a normal bike, but perhaps not the most practical.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Had a Ute. What was I thinking with a 29er cargo bike!

Yuba Mundo if need massive deck, or Batavus Personal (shorter but has all bells and whistles for luggage, town use and is current fave utility bike, it replaced the Ute and never looked back)

pryally
    Free Member

Surly Big Dummy with a Hooptie on the back – I carry a 3 year old and nearly 5 year old easily – even better now I’ve installed crank based Bafang motor

prontomonto

I have a MinUte. I love it cos it rides quite normally unloaded. I use a Bobike mini on the front with my 1 year old, with the intention of getting a Yepp for the back when he’s older or number 2 comes along. It feels really stable loaded, big tyres and hydraulic discs help. Mine second hand one was a hell of a lot cheaper than a proper cargo bike.

rents
    Free Member
    rents
    Free Member

I’ve said before on other threads but will say again, I love it. Had it for 5 Years, averaged about 8k miles on it a year commuting and hauling the kids. Just fitted a tubus low rider rack so shopping runs are easier with the hamax fitted. My 6 year old still fits in the seat so I wouldn’t worry about the weight limit. It is a very verditile bike. Its been used for touring. The last big one was the NC500. Longest ride was 210 miles. Road bike fast but cargo bike capable.NC500

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cargo bike recommedations.’ is closed to new replies.