Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • career options
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

In aberdeen at the moment at 23

have 8 years bike shop experiance from mechanics to management

have recent mechanical engineering degree

Engineering job markets flat. Im having trouble finding openings in the bike trade.

Atm ive got pending applications for a posties job and the 3 current graduate positions availible for engineers and some others whos closing dates are comming up (schlumberger – hallis – weatherford etc) and some ive put in speculative applications but heard nothing

feeling like im looking with blinkers at the job sites – what other areas can i/should i be looking at.

Im open minded as to what i do i – typing in "graduate aberdeen" and "trainee aberdeen" didnt really help !

iDave
    Free Member

work for yourself

start a business, i'm sure there are grants available

working for other people is just silly

trail_rat
    Free Member

dave ive been considering that – but my missus is currently still in education – its part of my life plan once she is earning – cant get it off the floor when currently she needs supporting with a wage. Im up for taking any old job tbh but the fuckign degree like someone mentioned on another thread is like a glass roof , over qualifys me for most medial jobs. Most important question on the Royal mail application seemed to be wether i qualified for the NEW deal job seekers stuff that meant they got goverment subsidys for me – which i dont qualify for unfortunantly as im not unemployed – im just working 50 miles from home living out my parents while my missus is in aberdeen

zaskar
    Free Member

Go to Australia?

Smee
    Free Member

Go and work at McDonalds. It's all you'll get with your crap degree. 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

new zealands better than aus 😉

as for mcdonalds – i wouldnt eat that shite in a million years let alone sell it. retrain as a butcher before i go to mcdonalds Glupton !

uplink
    Free Member

Thought of the RAF?

Smee
    Free Member

Trail_Rat – i have a cousin who is a regional manager for McDonalds, he gets a pretty good wage.

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

Army officer, REME/RE. Short comission or TA.

twinklydave

ride your bike a bit faster and become a pro 😉

clubber
    Free Member

I work in an Aerospace company and we're desperately short of good engineers though I guess recent graduates might not be what we're after. There's definitely work there though it may not be in Aberdeen…

momentum
    Free Member

Oil industry seems the obvious choice in Aberdeen, but I guess you are looking there? Doesn't have to be an engineering post – do they have general graduate schemes?

If you just want a job quick then do you have to mention your degree? Sounds like you've been working in a bike shop all the way through so why not use that experience to get the job and leave your degree off the form. It's not lying, since you haven't falsified the information that got you the job, and you aren't obliged to put every bit of info about yourself on a job application.

trail_rat
    Free Member

been looking for general graduate scheme in any industry – not just engineering either – degree is quite a broad base with management and numeric skills so quite applicable to other fields.

it was going traveling to nz that **** me – plenty work in aberdeen when i finished uni last year nothing when i got back from nz.Mates with 3rd class and non honours degrees even got jobs.

Would i go to nz again – yes i would –

Marmoset
    Free Member

As above, look at going to Oz.

Plenty of jobs in the mineral resources sector if you're prepared to work on a mining project and it still looks pretty busy despite current market conditions.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I have a friend who works for Orion in Aberdeen as a senior recruitment consultant. I could pass you his details if you like?

Trekster

Civil Service
    Local Authority
    Forestry
    Min Agriculture
    Teaching

Adapt you cv to whatever is needed

trail_rat
    Free Member

have already spoken to andy (house husband here) about becoming a teacher – and its certainly an option ive got highly placed in my mind – just been trying to sort out some placement with my old school in the subject field.

LA dont have much – opening for a TCL though but only 7 hours a week

ill explore the others propperly trekster , cheers

Barney Mcgrew i have looked at orions site and they appear to be looking for highly experianced folk but i guess it wouldnt do any harm!

trail_rat
    Free Member

spent the night going through job sites just ticking the wage search function between 10 -25k and come up with about 10 jobs that ive applied for or applied for further information packs and forms for. Some council , some engineering , some just generaly shit but a jobs a job ….

trail_rat
    Free Member

so i thought i was getting no where with jobs –

i have 3 medial job interviews next week, a bike shop mechanic interview and a telephone interview for a graduate scheme at weatherfords.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘career options’ is closed to new replies.