Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Career Guidance, for 15 year olds?
  • midlifecrashes

A level choices (and by implication, degree) are looming.

School is proving a bit crap in this (and many other) regards. Any one know of good websites or other resources to help firstborn through options/degree/career/life choices.

Her special talents are an encyclopaedic knowledge of Internet crap, Youtube Videos, Pokemon and My Little Pony.

headfirst
    Free Member

http://university.which.co.uk/

Not a bad place to start, might give her a bit of inspiration, ‘something to aim for’.

lapierrelady

Try http://www.fasttomato.com/index.aspx
    Do the school do Morrisby testing?

Kevevs
    Free Member

apprentiship. Get some genuine skills.

Markie
    Free Member

Historically, it’s always been possible to make a good living from the practise of law, medicine or finance.

A career in any of these areas makes moving overseas easy as well.

That said, an encyclopaedic knowledge of Pokemon and my little pony? There’s some neat work going on in taxonomy at the moment…

sambob
    Free Member

I’d recommend A levels, as it keeps so many options open afterwards. Plenty of things she can do as a B tech too, if she prefers coursework to exams. Can restrict Uni options a bit if that’s what she wants to do though.

project
    Free Member

As above get her on an appreticeship, a proper one not a plastic one working in some office ,but actually making something that can be seen by others and is of benefit to the country.

Engineering, construction, or the science based apprenticeships.

talltom
    Free Member

whilst doing a sports course at Leeds Met recently, noticed adverts for ALDI supermarkets for graduate trainee managers – 40k starting plus benefits plus Audi A4………….almost wished I was starting again…………………almost!!

talltom
    Free Member

+1 for apprenticeships – job based learning in any vocation.

I’ll be pointing no.1 that way when time comes

midlifecrashes

A levels are more or less a given, the main problem is she just hasn’t a clue what she wants to be doing later on, hence lack of a degree to aim at, hence the A level selection choice. School has said “look at your GCSE predicted grades, do what you’re good at”, which doesn’t help as she is doing a wide spread, uniformly well.

lapierrelady

Look at what subjects she really enjoys rather than just doing well at. Sounds like she is in the lovely if awkward place of being good at everything. Is there anywhere your way that offers the IB rather than A Levels, as this could be a good way of keeping options open.
    If there are no specific vocational careers she is intent on (medic, vet, engineer etc) A Level choice does not matter so much – most grad schemes across all industries require a 2:1 regardless of subject taken.

sambob
    Free Member

I did what I thought I’d enjoy for A-Level, and enjoying a subject definitely makes motivation easier. I’m going to do Geography at uni because I enjoy it and it gets me outside, the fact it’s a very employable degree is also a benefit.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Her special talents are an encyclopaedic knowledge of Internet crap, Youtube Videos, Pokemon and My Little Pony

Has she considered a career in the games industry? 😛

Stoner
    Free Member

With my only experience being my own experience, my advice is rather limited, But Id definitely recommend doing at least one or two A-levels that are “traditional” or at least considered properly challenging and Russell-group acceptable. For a third subject then something more enjoyable is probably OK.

I gather kids do handfuls of AS first and then take a few of those forward to full A or something. At least get an AS in a science and maths.

That’s of course if she definitely goes the A-Level route. Despite my cosy lifestyle coming on the back of good a-levels, Id still bear in mind vocational options for my boys when the time comes.

Doh1Nut

Maths
    Maths
    Maths

Well she only needs to do it for one A level
    But NOT doing maths closes more doors than dropping any other subject.

If she has any strong views on where she wants to live that can limit your choice of industry, finance outside central London is pretty scarce, Automotive engineering restricts you to Essex or Coventry ish.
    Every town needs a dentist and pharmacist.

N

Tom-B
    Free Member

If she wants to do science/maths at uni then that is what her A levels need to be, otherwise just pick what you enjoy IMO. What you actually do your A Levels in has very little bearing on uni outside of engineering/physics/maths type courses from what I can tell. It’s pretty common for students doing courses such as Law not to have studied it at A Level. She’s got plenty of time to decide what to do with her life-make sure she enjoys being a young adult, because let’s face it, life gets rather serious rather quickly once you enter the rat race! I

beckykirk43
    Free Member

Make sure she picks A-levels in subjects she’s going to enjoy, that will invariably lead on to a uni course/job in an area that is also enjoyed.

It’d be important to keep a range of subjects if at all possible (I did 3 sciences and maths at AS, and then dropped maths at A2 this seems to have worked for me so far because I knew I wanted to do something science-y just wasn’t sure what, but I know that it is limiting!).

Id definitely recommend doing at least one or two A-levels that are “traditional” or at least considered properly challenging and Russell-group acceptable.

This is probably important too – whatever she goes on to do afterwards having decent sounding a-levels is always going to be appealing!

I think http://www.prospects.ac.uk/ is aimed at people currently at uni, but it might be worth a look. You can fill out some questionnaire things based on your skills and interests and it suggests careers, and has information about the qualifications needed to get to them etc.

SaxonRider

midlifecrashes – Member

Her special talents are an encyclopaedic knowledge of Internet crap, Youtube Videos, Pokemon and My Little Pony.

As a parent, and someone who spent years advising students on their university choices at an FE college, this assessment is one of the most delightful things I have ever read. 😆

muckytee
    Free Member

Don’t do BTECs this coming from somebody who has done one, and is now unemployed.

Most universities don’t accept them, and employers don’t care much for them.

Do A levels (A level maths would be good) then either Uni or an High level Apprenticeship.

A lot of people want to do apprenticeships, she will be against people older than her and with possible previous experience in the role. To get an apprenticeship you have to convince an employer that you feel passionate about the role and that you are worth spending 4 years of teaching and funding on.

I also found it really hard to decide what to do at 16.

I would recommend you put together a short list of jobs she is interested in and then try to get her some work experience, this will help her make a better choice. Maybe even miss out a year for this.

matt_outandabout

Get her to do a year out working somewhere – soon brings rewards and a focus on what she might want out of life. PGL/Bunacamp etc

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’d advise some business skills such as marketing management and finance along with things she enjoys as these skills can help in almost any job

muckytee
    Free Member

+1 matt outandabout

College education requires more independent learning, nobody will care if she doesn’t try. That year will also allow her to grow up a bit and gain a mature attitude.

In college tutors didn’t care that I did the bare minimum, so I just drifted through, I needed a more mature attitude.

matt_outandabout

I needed a more mature attitude.

^ this is what a year of hard graft gets you. I love seeing the change our (7+) gap year people achieve in the year. Simple things like being at work on time, presentable and with the right attitude is not always easy to see straight out of school and home where mum gets you up and reminds you of the doctors appointment etc.

midlifecrashes

I like the year out/abroad idea. I also like the idea of just get a job and come back to education when you know what you want approach. Trouble is, if you decide to go science/maths/ology route the A levels are pretty crucial and need to be decided in the next year, which is also limiting if she later wants to be a linguist. There isn’t really a viable year out option for 16 year olds as far as I can see.

druidh
    Free Member

Matt – do you get gap yearers from bother before and after uni? We (my daughter and I) have been trying to work out what works best. I can see advantages and disadvantges of both approaches.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Oh…and a language is also highly helpful

matt_outandabout

We get both – as you say, advantage to both.
    Pre-Uni we seem to work through the basic ‘be on time, presentable, and right attitude while unraveling you from parents into your own life’. Seems to set them up for Uni with a firmer grasp on life, what they want and how to stay on an even keel more. I do think on balance the younger ones do get more out of it.

sambob
    Free Member

I’d love to know a foreign language, at least well enough to be conversational, increases job prospects massively. Also interested Matt, can’t decide whether to have a year out before or after, so would be interested in what you’ve found with your gap year people.

Rosss
    Free Member

I’m in Y13 now and will be finsihing in the summer. I cant agree more than schools are useless in suggesting pathways and helping. I went with what I enjoy English, Product design and business. I wish i’d taken maths and a science with my english, they looks good with pretty much anything and without maths so many uni courses are closed. Ultimately, maths would be a solid choice and even though I really didn’t/dont enjoy it, suffer it. it’s worth it. My email is in my profile if you want to ask me anything about sixth form / Choices / Uni Applicaitions just shoot me an email.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Maths most importantly.

Consider a language if possible (Personally I would go for one of Chinese, Russian or Spanish) – I’m rubbish at languages but always miss this.

Perhaps something IT(ish)

And then do things that are enjoyable and will ensure good grades.

midlifecrashes

Cheers all, lots to ponder.

jimmy

ALDI supermarkets for graduate trainee managers – 40k starting plus benefits plus Audi A4

Same as 10 years ago, and they work you to the bone for it (not necessarily a bad thing)

Oh…and a language is also highly helpful

Hmmm beg to differ. What language do most other countries learn first of all?

ourmaninthenorth

Soundest advice is work experience. It will help her develop a better understanding than anything else.

Also, OP, are you university educated? This isn’t an insult – other than a distant cousin, I was the first of my family to go to university. In spite of a public school education, I had zero careers advice.
    My parents, bless them, were (and remain) hopeless when it comes to career advice. Sadly, A-Level choices increasingly require this thinking.

Mrs North’s parents had both been to university, so she had a head start on why A-Levels were important to her future career choices.

sambob
    Free Member

A language is massively useful, increases the job market significantly, particularly if it’s a fast growing economy or a language spoken by many countries, such as Spanish.

timber

Just because you do well in something at school, doesn’t mean you may want to do it as a living. I think school had hopes of me going into medicine, science, or something maths based, but to be honest, that sort of stuff came easily and didn’t interest me.

I was in the fortunate position of knowing roughly what I wanted to do, I wanted to work outdoors in a physical job.
    I had a good time pissing around with mates in the education system to get here, but I do something I really enjoy and could have equally gone into straight out of school.

Starting point would be the end point she wants (or doesn’t want is equally valid, I didn’t want an office job), this could be the task, like myself, or the money, which meant my cousin pursued a legal career to fund her shopping habit.

ojom
    Free Member

Get her to aim for happiness above all. Everyone can make money eventually but to be happy takes a certain set of skills

Stoner
    Free Member

but the thing is we dont know what we want when we’re young, only what we are conditioned to think we want. And that’s not necessarily a BAD thing. Just we have to realise the “right” thing is not universal.

I ended up where I am because when I was 13 I got 90% in a geography exam and wanted to be a cartographer. From there through GCSE and A level selection to take me to a surveying course and some how I ended up in a lucrative little niche. None of that can be planned from the start.

Tell her to arm herself with some versatile tools. Maths, logic, something that covers emotional intelligence (that passed me by Im afraid), and an ability to adapt and consider what she wants in life and recognise none of it comes on a plate.

Brainflex

I had no idea what I wanted to do when I left school but the best question I got asked by a career advisor was “What dont you want to do?” and we went from there.

Andy_B

Give her £200 and tell her to buy some weed and make some money. She’ll learn about cash flow, demand, availability, marketing, scalability and the legal restrictions of running a business.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Career Guidance, for 15 year olds?’ is closed to new replies.