Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Career crossroads
  • mrsheen
    Free Member

Happy Christmas on the cards. Was told last Friday my contract wouldn’t be extended so I’d be expected to go back to my parent government department in a few months. Currently its a project based role and is mixture of remote and home based work. If/when I go back to parent dept I’ll be surplus (for about the 6th time in 15 years). I’m dreading returning tbh for a number of reasons. I’m mid 30s, no dependants, modest outgoings. I’d love redundancy if offered but that’s unlikely. I’m jaded by the sector and I’m thinking unemployment would be a decent option to give me some thinking time etc. I recognise that’s crazy talk but the idea of going to another random government job does my head in sometimes.

Anyone been like this? Did you retrain? Sought careers advice anywhere?

Thanks

perchypanther
    Free Member

Get a job you like while you still can.

I’m mid 30s, no dependants, modest outgoings

Don’t find yourself at 45 with three kids, a crippling mortgage and a dog with no choice but to soldier on doing a job you hate for the rest of your life in order to service your hefty obligations.

That happens a lot round here.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Thanks PP. Good place this amidst the turmoil.

kormoran
    Free Member

perchypanther +acoupleofhundredthousand

you can’t put a price on a job you enjoy doing, you really can’t. I was in a similar position to you and by a miracle I was made redundant. It was the most joyous moment of my 20 years in the business. I actually shudder at the thought of still being in that line of work.

I still laugh at their grave faces when they told me there was no job for me. I did retrain, and found a job by odd jobbing here and there until I found something I enjoyed and stuck with that.

5 years down the line I look forward to going to work and doing something worthwhile.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Being able to re-invent yourself career wise is going to be the key skill going forwards. The world is changing so fast. You are but a slip of a lad and as above no significant responsibilities to stress yourself over.

Unless the job is going to make you sick (ie mental health issues, depression) then just stick with it, do what’s necessary and soend the hours out of the office thinking about what next, training opportunities, etc etc. Franklynif the job’s well within your capabilities you can do some of that in the office but don’t breach your contract. Can you ask your employer about retraining possibilities, courses etc etc.

Be positive, you are young and its a positive that you know what you don’t want to do, so work on finding out what you do want and make it happen

caspian
    Free Member

Don’t find yourself at 45 with three kids, a crippling mortgage and a dog with no choice but to soldier on doing a job you hate for the rest of your life in order to service your hefty obligations.

That happens a lot round here.
    Haha – that’s me exactly, less the job!

My wife asked for a divorce this morning and the council are planning on bulldozing our trails. Today has been rad.

I wish you luck!

Could everyone who writes that they have since found a job they love – please, please, please do go on to state what that job actually is? Many thanks.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Thanks again for your positive thoughts, advice and humour. I guess we all have our cr*p to deal with so its good to know we’re not alone in that regard.

(I think going back to my old office would give me mental issues for a number of reasons!)

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Just got out of teaching and moved to the charity sector. I went for a few teaching jobs before moving, and at each one I knew I was only doing it to keep the status quo. The money was OK, holidays etc. In the end I took a deep breath, did some cover work and part time work while looking for other jobs. It was a risk worth taking as I couldn’t have gone on much longer doing part time stuff. Luckily I found a new job I absolutely love.

Life is too short to be stuck in something you really don’t want to be in. Don’t get caught in doing a job because it’s just something you’ve always done. Is there some part time work to keep you sustained while you look for other things?

Going back in to the same thing again just gives you excuses not to change.

Be brave, be happy! The advice from this forum made me realise it was never too late to change career etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

geoffj

What do you do? Opportunity to go contracting? Plenty of GDS-type work if you have any experience.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Career crossroads’ is closed to new replies.