Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Career advice/Any careers advisors??
  • timthetinyhorse

I have started to feel like im stuck in a bit of a rut at the moment with my career and think its about time i did something about it rather than just thinking so thought it might be a good idea to tap into the huge amount of knowledge that is present on the internet and see what people have to say.

A little history may be a good place to start……..I started my career 11 years ago as an apprentice maintenance engineer for a large multi-national aluminium smelting & mining company eventually 9 years in becoming engineering team leader and during this time gained my degree (FDSc in mechanical manufacturing engineering and then final year BSc Management of engineering technologies) allong with many other technical qualifications. After 9 happy years in this employment the plant was shut and we were all paid off.

I landed a job as a software support engineer for a company providing bedspoke planned maintenance systems and crewing solutions to the shipping industry, this was a field based and office based role where maintenance systems were built in the office, installed to client companies office systems and then installed to vessels either via remote of if vessels were in poer i would visit the vessel and install and perform a health check if the system was an upgrade. After 6 month I decided that software was not for me and wanted to go back to engineering.

Next role was for one of the UK biggest car manufacturers based in the north east as a maintenance technician. The role was very demanding and highly PLC based (something i have very little experience in) however it was fairly enjoyable at first and increased my knowledge of complex pneumatics and hydraulics having only had experience on very heavy equipment. 8 Months in i was contacted by one of the worlds biggest soft drinks companies and so the next role begins.

After a few phone calls to the tallent aquasition team from said drinks company promising the world if i ws to gain the role (talent mapping, unlimeted training, role shadowing….the list goes on)I agreet to interview for the role and attend an on site assessment, this obviously went very well as i was told the next day that the job ws mine if i wanted it. After a little pay negotiation etc i accepted the role (taking a pay cut but factoring in reduced fuel spend etc) and handed my notice in. I have now been in said new role as a shift engineer for 6 months and key roles should include project planning, PPM scheduling, responsive line repairs etc but as yet im still waiting for any form of training, getting stupid jobs like hanging signs and generaly feeling frustrated. I have talked to my manager who just says its all part if the roll and that they cant give me training as they dont have the resource to cover me if im off (is this an acceptable excuse?)so now im sat on the fence wondering what to do next……..

I would like to go into project/design engineering and dont mind taking further courses to gain the qualifications required however all of the jobs i look at want experience.

I would love any constructive advice people may have/hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation.

Sorry for any spelling issues etc im blasting this out on my brake.

Cheers

Rob

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Career advice/Any careers advisors??’ is closed to new replies.